Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 12 and non-magsafe case

My husband and I have just pre-ordered the new Iphone 12, and we are case shopping. We both like to use either OtterBox or LifeProof cases. I know no-one has the new phones yet but was hoping someone might be able to help me understand exactly how MagSafe works.

I understand that the Iphone 12 has MagSafe built into the phone and that there are MagSafe cases available from Apple. Would an OtterBox or LifeProof case still work with the MagSafe feature on the phone itself or will we have to just use a "normal" wireless charger?

Thanks so much!

Posted on Oct 16, 2020 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2020 11:13 AM

There is a magnet built into the MagSafe coils beneath the glass back on the phone, so you should still be able to use a MagSafe charger without having to buy a MagSafe capable case. The MagSafe cases as I see them are more to permit you to add accessories such as the magnetic wallet Apple is selling, which likely would not attach without a MagSafe case with a magnet in the case.

And of course you can still use any normal wireless charger and never go MagSafe at all.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2020 11:13 AM in response to banfield.ashley

There is a magnet built into the MagSafe coils beneath the glass back on the phone, so you should still be able to use a MagSafe charger without having to buy a MagSafe capable case. The MagSafe cases as I see them are more to permit you to add accessories such as the magnetic wallet Apple is selling, which likely would not attach without a MagSafe case with a magnet in the case.

And of course you can still use any normal wireless charger and never go MagSafe at all.

Nov 14, 2020 5:19 PM in response to Nerfmaster

A lot of cases were designed and manufactured before Apple even announced Magsafe on the new iPhone's. If you made an assumption a case was Magsafe compatible, yet the manufacturer NEVER said it was, you made an inaccurate assumption. Saying the case is compatible with iPhone 12 Mini, does NOT mean it is Magsafe compatible.

I now have two new cases for my new iPhone 12 Pro Max. Neither are Magsafe compatible. Which is actually fine with me as I have no interest in joining the Magsafe wagon. I don't have interest in faster charging as I put my iPhone on a Qi charging stand with outputs 7.5W at night while I sleep. Slower charging is healthier for the battery in our phones.

iphone 12 and non-magsafe case

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.