Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you still get malware by clicking on a link on a different browser/search engine apps from the App Store?

Well, I haven’t experienced any subscribe to this or you won a something kind of scenario but I clicked a probable malwared site on the Google App and not Safari (I was an android user back then but I still used Google) I will try to post the same question on the Google Community but I was wondering, can an iPad get malware by clicking on a link on a different browsers/search engine apps?

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Oct 17, 2020 5:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 12:24 PM

Hello.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you want to know if you'll get malware by clicking on a link while using different web browsers on your iPad. That's a great question to ask. We'd be more than happy to help out.

If you're visiting a website and it prompts you with a malware message/alert, you can simply clear your browsing history on that specific browser and force close the app. Once you reopen the app, you should be OK to browse the internet again. Additionally, you'll want to make sure your iPad is always fully updated to the most compatible iPadOS version available. These updates can help keep your device safe and secure from outside threats. We do have a few helpful resources that you can review below:

How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you do see these malware messages/alerts in Safari, you can clear your history by following the guidance listed here:

Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

We hope this information is useful. Have a great day!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2020 12:24 PM in response to johnnyboyyyyy

Hello.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you want to know if you'll get malware by clicking on a link while using different web browsers on your iPad. That's a great question to ask. We'd be more than happy to help out.

If you're visiting a website and it prompts you with a malware message/alert, you can simply clear your browsing history on that specific browser and force close the app. Once you reopen the app, you should be OK to browse the internet again. Additionally, you'll want to make sure your iPad is always fully updated to the most compatible iPadOS version available. These updates can help keep your device safe and secure from outside threats. We do have a few helpful resources that you can review below:

How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you do see these malware messages/alerts in Safari, you can clear your history by following the guidance listed here:

Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

We hope this information is useful. Have a great day!

Oct 22, 2020 6:48 AM in response to johnnyboyyyyy

I guess the only way you can have malware is if you spread personal information, etc.

Those two underlined parts aren't really related.

Malware (short for malicious software) is any type of software you don't want on your computer. Those would be a virus, worm (neither of which exist for the Mac OS), or a Trojan (there are lots of these).

Clicking a link that takes you to a site to spread/enter personal information is social engineering. No unwanted software is on your Mac at all. The crook just wants you to fall for their lies and give them your personal information.

Two of the most common:

1. A web site pops up a message you need to install a Flash update. Any such software from a site other than Adobe will be malware, 100% of the time. On top of that, Flash is dead. You can no longer get it from Adobe.
  2. You open, or get redirected to a web site that screams you have xxxx viruses on your computer and need to call some scammer's phone number within 90 seconds (or other scary sounding time frame) to avoid permanent damage. Lies, lies, lies. There is no web browser in the world that can tell a remote site what's on your computer. They known nothing.

Oct 21, 2020 11:50 PM in response to johnnyboyyyyy

Well thanks for the replies and I think it was just me worrying. Anyways I deleted the specific browser that i installed via App Store (To those who are wondering what i use, It’s Google) and currently using safari. I guess you could not get malware by just clicking a website. I guess the only way you can have malware is if you spread personal information, etc. and I think i just got scared and thought that it can affect my iPad and my account. Anyways, Thanks for the Answers!

Can you still get malware by clicking on a link on a different browser/search engine apps from the App Store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.