Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get my Mac to recognize my new 2TB WD Element backup?

I just bought a Western Digital WD 2TB Element backup for my mac. I have done everything that I can find to include rebooting and my mac will not recognize the WD. When I go to Time Machine it is still seeing the old Seagate BU that is disconnected since it died. I labeled the new device WD Element. When I click that I want to replace the Seagate it says do you want to erase the WD Element device.

I have downloaded the WD software for the MacOS from http://support.wdc.com KB#3865. My computer downloaded the update (April 2020) and I see the installer utilities in my Application Folder. I do not see any WD Element icons as I should on my desktop on in the Application Folder. I do see it under the Finder left column but when I click on it is says device is not connected?

I also followed all of the instructions that I found on a this site: https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/format-ws-my-pasport-hard-disk

Posted on Oct 17, 2020 6:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2020 7:21 AM

Whenever you buy an external drive to use as a backup you need to format it so the mac can read and write to it.

Connect the HD directly to your mac.

Open Disk Utility from Applications/ Utilities.

Click on View in the menubar and select Show All Devices.

In the left hand panel under External highlight the Disk not the indented Volume.

The Disk will probably be called WD*********.

Click Erase.

Give the Disk a Name.

Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Scheme: GUID Partition Map

Click Erase

When Done quit Disk Utility.

Your new HD is now ready to be used with your mac.

Do not install any manufacturer software it will interfere with the macs management of the Disk.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2020 7:21 AM in response to Alnbah

Whenever you buy an external drive to use as a backup you need to format it so the mac can read and write to it.

Connect the HD directly to your mac.

Open Disk Utility from Applications/ Utilities.

Click on View in the menubar and select Show All Devices.

In the left hand panel under External highlight the Disk not the indented Volume.

The Disk will probably be called WD*********.

Click Erase.

Give the Disk a Name.

Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Scheme: GUID Partition Map

Click Erase

When Done quit Disk Utility.

Your new HD is now ready to be used with your mac.

Do not install any manufacturer software it will interfere with the macs management of the Disk.

Oct 17, 2020 7:25 AM in response to Alnbah

Would suggest Uninstalling the Western Digital Software as per Developers Instructions. Then connect the new drive and go to Disk Utilities . Click in upper Left of DU View all Devices. Look for the WD Drive as External drive and reformat it as Mac Extended

( Journaled ) and GUID Partition scheme.

How to get my Mac to recognize my new 2TB WD Element backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.