Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud storage, phone full, need space

hi, hope this finds you well and healthy. hoping someone can give me a bit of insight on what to do with a full iphone.

my iphone is full and i need to delete photos to create some space. I have plenty of icloud storage. if I delete photos on my phone, will they be deleted in icloud? I presume they will but I cant find the answer.

Can anyone help me?

Posted on Oct 17, 2020 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2020 7:23 AM

If you are using iCloud Photos, yes they will be removed from iCloud if you delete them from the phone. iCloud is a syncing service, not off device storage.

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

See your edits on all of your devices

When you make edits in the Photos app on your iOS or iPadOS device or on your Mac, the photo automatically updates across all your devices. So when you crop or enhance a photo from your iPhone, you see the changes when you access your library from your Mac. Your original photos and videos are stored in iCloud and you can go back to them at any time, and revert any changes you made.

The photos and videos that you delete on one device are deleted everywhere that you use iCloud Photos. Photos and videos stay in the Recently Deleted folder for 30 days before they're deleted permanently.
You can make edits on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, and you’ll see them on your Apple TV automatically. Your entire collection is available on Apple TV, including your Memories and shared albums.

If you want to make room on your phone, you can archive photos to a computer and then delete them from the phone and iCloud.

Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2020 7:23 AM in response to susangrant1111

If you are using iCloud Photos, yes they will be removed from iCloud if you delete them from the phone. iCloud is a syncing service, not off device storage.

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

See your edits on all of your devices

When you make edits in the Photos app on your iOS or iPadOS device or on your Mac, the photo automatically updates across all your devices. So when you crop or enhance a photo from your iPhone, you see the changes when you access your library from your Mac. Your original photos and videos are stored in iCloud and you can go back to them at any time, and revert any changes you made.

The photos and videos that you delete on one device are deleted everywhere that you use iCloud Photos. Photos and videos stay in the Recently Deleted folder for 30 days before they're deleted permanently.
You can make edits on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, and you’ll see them on your Apple TV automatically. Your entire collection is available on Apple TV, including your Memories and shared albums.

If you want to make room on your phone, you can archive photos to a computer and then delete them from the phone and iCloud.

Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

Oct 17, 2020 7:21 AM in response to susangrant1111

Yes, if you are using iCloud Photos, you can't make room on your iPhone because photos will be deleted from iCloud too. This is procedure you should perform:--> Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

When all (or part) of your photos are safely store on a computer, you can delete those pictures from your iPhone.

Regards

Giulio

icloud storage, phone full, need space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.