Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 is not working with my PowerBook OS X 10.4.11.

The message says, "The iPhone "iphone" cannot be used because it requires OS X 10.5.8 or later."
Is there a way to make working with my old OS X 10.4.11?
I plan to buy new MacBook pro but not ready to buy it right now. Please help if there are solutions without upgrades. It's so different without working with my old PowerBook.
Thanks in advance for help!

1) PowerBook G4/15"/1.67ghz/1.5gb/, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 2) PowerBook G3/Pismo/500mhz/Mac OS X(10.4)

Posted on Jul 24, 2010 7:39 PM

29 replies

Jul 24, 2010 9:54 PM in response to blue sky

blue sky wrote:
If I upgrade OS X 10.4 to 10.5.8 on my Power Book G4, the iPhone 4 will work properly? Without upgrade to MacBook Pro?

You can't. You really need to learn how to check on specifications...

Snow Leopard canNOT be installed on anything that is not Intel based. Fail with the phone, then fail with this question.

Jul 25, 2010 12:20 AM in response to EBSkater

EBSkater wrote:
blue sky wrote:
If I upgrade OS X 10.4 to 10.5.8 on my Power Book G4, the iPhone 4 will work properly? Without upgrade to MacBook Pro?

You can't. You really need to learn how to check on specifications...

I could say the same for you.

Snow Leopard canNOT be installed on anything that is not Intel based. Fail with the phone, then fail with this question.

10.5.8 is NOT Snow Leopard, it is the last version of Leopard--and yes, Leopard will run on a PowerBook G4 though it might be tough to come across a legal copy...I don't know if Apple sells Leopard anymore.

Jul 25, 2010 6:23 AM in response to crh24

Thanks for help and clarification.
I asked same question on the PowerBook G4 board to make sure.

OS X 10.6 is Snow leopard and it requires Mac computer with an Intel processor. But OS X 10.5.8 works on my PowerBook G4 as someone helped me to find at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3759.

Still I wonder if I can buy OS X 10.5.8 or 10.5 and the price is about $29 price range. I will check on the board of Mac OS X 10.5, too.

iPhone 4 is not working with my PowerBook OS X 10.4.11.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.