Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restore a contact’s photo?

How do I restore a contact’s photo so the one that shows up in iMessage is the photo they’ve selected for their profile?

An iPhone contact’s picture disappeared — it was replaced with a black circle. I attempted to fix it by editing the contact and giving it a custom photo. Now the contact photo that shows up in iMessage is one that I’ve selected, and no longer updates when my contact updates their profile photo.

Posted on Oct 17, 2020 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 10:57 PM

> If you are sure that they are sharing the photo and you don't have one saved, you can remove the contact and recreate it.

This is the step that ultimately solved the problem — creating a new contact from scratch and repopulating all the information I had previously added (except the custom photo). Editing the existing contact wasn’t enough. Luckily I had only one contact to deal with. This would not have been fun if there were multiple contacts with photos I had customized.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2020 10:57 PM in response to CarlAVII

> If you are sure that they are sharing the photo and you don't have one saved, you can remove the contact and recreate it.

This is the step that ultimately solved the problem — creating a new contact from scratch and repopulating all the information I had previously added (except the custom photo). Editing the existing contact wasn’t enough. Luckily I had only one contact to deal with. This would not have been fun if there were multiple contacts with photos I had customized.

Oct 21, 2020 5:46 PM in response to ThorendorToo

Hello ThorendorToo,

It sounds like the custom photo a contact created is no longer showing up correctly on your iPhone.

Here are some resources that can help:

• Ensure that the photo you have for the contact is removed by tapping on the small X at the top of the photo: Edit contacts on iPhone

• If you are sure that they are sharing the photo and you don't have one saved, you can remove the contact and recreate it.

Hope this information helps.

Have a good day.

How do I restore a contact’s photo?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.