Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I got this message when installing SEAGATE disk recovery SW: "Premium Recovery Suite" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

I got this message when installing SEAGATE disk recovery SW: "Premium Recovery Suite" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated, contact the developer for more information.

The developer is Seagate and the SW is Premium Recovery Suite.

question is: Is there a way to prevent Apple from checking for malicious software to bypass that gate keeper and install the update once the SW is installed?

Thanks a lot.

Dan

Posted on Oct 17, 2020 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2020 6:12 PM

If there is a way to open it, Safely open apps on your Mac - Apple Support describes how.

If that software was bundled with a hard disk drive you're better off just deleting it. Most of those utilities are useless, at best.

3 replies

Oct 17, 2020 6:31 PM in response to dsharoni

I absolutely agree: you do not want to install or have any software/app included in an external drive. They do not need anything to be able to function. All you need to do is to make sure it is formatted for Mac (Mac OS Extended) with the GUID partition scheme; that is all. You simply use Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities) for that. While it is formatting, it will erase the drive.

I got this message when installing SEAGATE disk recovery SW: "Premium Recovery Suite" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.