Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2013 running so slow it's almost unusable

I have an iMac from early 2013 and recently it has become very slow to boot up and even slower to operate afterwards - opening safari [for example] takes about 10 minutes but any selection of software/apps takes the same amount of time - I've cleared the cache/cookies - I've run diagnostics in file utility - deleted unused apps etc to no avail. It has 8GB of RAM [of which 6GB is showing as used before I open any apps so that's just with the OS I guess - Mojave] and the memory pressure is orange - 70% of my 1TB HD is free, my CPU shows as 5% usage in the activity monitor so I'm lost as to what to do. I have Avast AV software, the free version, but as it's been there for 4 years I tempted to think this is not the root cause of the problem even if it is doing nothing in reality to protect my Mac. The local repair shop suggested I change the HD for SSD but having not even spent 1 minute to look at the problem I'm tempted to think that whilst it would improve speed it isn't the real problem. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 12:27 PM

You are overdue for a newer model.

A Troubleshooting Procedure that may Fix Problems with macOS El Capitan or Later

You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.

If possible, backup your files before proceeding.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  2. Wait 30 seconds before you restart the computer.
  3. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM
  4. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
  5. Reset your Startup Disk and Sound preferences, if needed, after resetting the PRAM.
  6. Test in safe mode to see if the problem persists, then restart normally. See How  to  use  safe  mode  on  your  Mac.
  7. Repair the disk by booting from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.  Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
  8. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left, under Current User click on the Add [+] button under Login Options. Set up a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account, then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.
  9. Reinstall a Combo Updater macOS  Catalina  10.15.7  Combo  Update, macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Combo Update, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Combo Update, macOS 10.12.6 Combo Update, OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 Combo Update.
  10. Reinstall OS X by booting from the Recovery HD using the Command and R keys. When the Utility Menu appears, select Install OS X then click on the Continue button.
  11. Erase and Install OS X Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:

1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on the Continue button.

2. When Disk Utility loads, select the drive (out-dented entry) from the Device list.

3. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.

4. Set the Format type to APFS (for SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)

5. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.

6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.

7. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2020 12:27 PM in response to Gibbo2019

You are overdue for a newer model.

A Troubleshooting Procedure that may Fix Problems with macOS El Capitan or Later

You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.

If possible, backup your files before proceeding.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  2. Wait 30 seconds before you restart the computer.
  3. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM
  4. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
  5. Reset your Startup Disk and Sound preferences, if needed, after resetting the PRAM.
  6. Test in safe mode to see if the problem persists, then restart normally. See How  to  use  safe  mode  on  your  Mac.
  7. Repair the disk by booting from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.  Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
  8. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left, under Current User click on the Add [+] button under Login Options. Set up a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account, then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.
  9. Reinstall a Combo Updater macOS  Catalina  10.15.7  Combo  Update, macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Combo Update, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Combo Update, macOS 10.12.6 Combo Update, OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 Combo Update.
  10. Reinstall OS X by booting from the Recovery HD using the Command and R keys. When the Utility Menu appears, select Install OS X then click on the Continue button.
  11. Erase and Install OS X Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:

1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on the Continue button.

2. When Disk Utility loads, select the drive (out-dented entry) from the Device list.

3. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.

4. Set the Format type to APFS (for SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)

5. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.

6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.

7. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Oct 18, 2020 1:08 PM in response to Gibbo2019

The instructions I posted are not as imposing as they may seem, coming at you in such a long post. The procedure is time-consuming, but not terribly difficult. I've also provided links to help in some cases. PCs and Macs are not that different. Similar hardware, but different operating systems.

For your son, you need to do something different. You need to make the computer "his computer." That means erasing the drive and installing the original OS version that came new from the factory. You do that this way:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

Factory reset of your Mac - Apple Support

Below is the actual drive erase and install procedure after completing all prior instructions in the above.

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

You will need a fast, working Internet connection, preferably, Ethernet. If you must use Wi-Fi, you will be asked to select your network and enter the network password. This procedure will install the original version of macOS that came pre-installed from the factory.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-Shift-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Provide a volume name, usually "Macintosh HD."
  9. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  10. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  11. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Oct 18, 2020 1:36 PM in response to Kappy

thanks... yeah that was also in my thinking - get the repair shop to replace the HD with some SSD HD and then do the reset so he’s good for a few years (lucky him my first pc was a commodore 64 when I was a teenager 🙃 )

ps I’m even less knowledgeable about windows pcs as they belong normally to my clients any problems are resolved by their IT dept and after 30 yrs of pcs I wouldn’t buy one for myself)

Oct 18, 2020 12:56 PM in response to Kappy

thanks Kappy, yeah you’re right even more so as I double checked and it’s a 2012 model... I’m going to get a new MacBook in the coming months but want to give this to my 10 year old to introduce him to Macs/apple and in its current state it’s useless!!! I’ll give some of the things a try but some seem a little advanced for me - I always get a PC Laptop to use with my work so the Mac is for pleasure 😉

iMac 2013 running so slow it's almost unusable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.