Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store purchases

So I just tried to download a few different apps and each time it says I need a payment method before I can download the app. The apps are free so I don’t understand why I would need a payment method for that. I don’t have any method of payment to put in anyway so what am I supposed to do? Never download or redownload an app ever again?

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 2:49 PM

Can you choose the NONE option from the payment methods in your account details. If it isn't there, then you need to provide a payment method, even for Free apps. That's the way that the system works.

You can buy and redeem a small iTunes/App Store gift card as a payment method.

The system often asks for the payment details to verify that it is the owner of the Apple ID trying to use the account.

ASC - Late 2012 Mac mini, macOS 10.15.7; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 7; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 14.0.1; iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14.0.1; iPhone 8+, iOS 14.0.1; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 14.0.2  HomePods, audioOS 14 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2020 2:49 PM in response to deandre277

Can you choose the NONE option from the payment methods in your account details. If it isn't there, then you need to provide a payment method, even for Free apps. That's the way that the system works.

You can buy and redeem a small iTunes/App Store gift card as a payment method.

The system often asks for the payment details to verify that it is the owner of the Apple ID trying to use the account.

ASC - Late 2012 Mac mini, macOS 10.15.7; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 7; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 14.0.1; iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14.0.1; iPhone 8+, iOS 14.0.1; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 14.0.2  HomePods, audioOS 14 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Oct 18, 2020 1:49 PM in response to deandre277

You might have an unpaid "bill" on your account.

That's the only reason I can think of that will require you to add a payment method.

As long as the "bill" is there you will not be able to update your apps or download new ones.

You might be able to see what the "bill" is here:

See your purchase history for the App Store, iTunes Store, and more - Apple Support

If you need further help, I would advice you to:

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

They will be able to see specifically what is going on with your account.

Good luck!

App Store purchases

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.