Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please unlock "iPhone" message in Photos

Receive the message "Please unlock iPhone" when trying to import photos from an iPhone (iOS 13.7) into the Photos app on a MacBook Pro running macOS Catalina (10.15.7).

The iPhone is unlocked and the MacBook Pro with Photos is trusted by the iPhone.

I'm able to backup the iPhone to the the computer and can see the iPhone in Finder.

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 5:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 7:23 AM

Good morning, Genocyber,

We understand that when you import photos to your Mac from your iPhone, you're getting a continuous prompt to unlock the iPhone even though it already is.

Make sure your iPhone is connected and unlocked, then open Finder, and see if your iPhone is detected and listed. If it isn't follow these steps.

If it is, then open Image Capture and see if your iPhone is detected. Make sure it is still unlocked, open the Photos app and wait a few minutes to see if the alert appears again.

Cheers!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2020 7:23 AM in response to Genocyber

Good morning, Genocyber,

We understand that when you import photos to your Mac from your iPhone, you're getting a continuous prompt to unlock the iPhone even though it already is.

Make sure your iPhone is connected and unlocked, then open Finder, and see if your iPhone is detected and listed. If it isn't follow these steps.

If it is, then open Image Capture and see if your iPhone is detected. Make sure it is still unlocked, open the Photos app and wait a few minutes to see if the alert appears again.

Cheers!

Oct 23, 2020 10:32 PM in response to Genocyber

The iPhone is physically connected and unlocked.

The iPhone is listed and viewable in Finder.

The iPhone can be backed up successfully however the iPhone is not being synced or backed up when I'm trying to import photos into the Photos app.

Image Capture sees the iPhone and display's the message "Please wait. Photos in the Camera Roll of "iPhone" are being prepared". This message never goes away even after waiting 6 hours with the phone unlocked.

The Photos app still displays "Please unlock iPhone" even after waiting 6 hours with the iPhone unlocked.

Oct 24, 2020 10:33 AM in response to Genocyber

Try the following in order as necessary:

1 - with the phone connected to the MBP reboot it, sign in and then try with Photos.

2 - boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Nov 15, 2020 3:24 PM in response to léonie

Since upgrading to iOS 14.2, I now received the message "Please wait. Photos in the Camera Roll of <Phone Name> are being prepared" in Image Capture.

The message eventually goes away however I'm still unable to import any photos or see any photos on the device from within Image Capture.

I have waited over 24 hours and the problem has persisted. Even though I have over 55,000 photos on the phone, I still should be able to import them into Photos on the Mac.

I have reached out to Apple Support so hopefully they can assist.

Please unlock "iPhone" message in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.