Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restriction passcode

Hi, I forgot the restriction passcode of my iPad, and now i want to erase the contents, so what I have to do ? please advise

iPad, iOS 11

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 5:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 5:27 AM

If you have forgotten the ScreenTime passcode (a.k.a. restrictions passcode), one of the two procedures outlined within this link should resolve the problem:

If you forgot your Screen Time passcode - Apple Support

If your iPad is capable of supporting iPadOS 13 or later, you should update to the most current version before attempting to resolve a forgotten ScreenTime passcode. The most recent iPadOS updates have introduced a new mechanism whereby a forgotten ScreenTime passcode can be reset without wiping the iPad.

To reset a forgotten ScreenTime passcode on older versions of iOS/iPadOS, the iPad must be reset “as new”, losing all locally stored data. In this situation, you’ll not be able to restore your data from an iCloud or iTunes backup - as the forgotten passcode is integral to the backup.

I hope this information is helpful to you in successfully resetting your forgotten passcode.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2020 5:27 AM in response to layth290

If you have forgotten the ScreenTime passcode (a.k.a. restrictions passcode), one of the two procedures outlined within this link should resolve the problem:

If you forgot your Screen Time passcode - Apple Support

If your iPad is capable of supporting iPadOS 13 or later, you should update to the most current version before attempting to resolve a forgotten ScreenTime passcode. The most recent iPadOS updates have introduced a new mechanism whereby a forgotten ScreenTime passcode can be reset without wiping the iPad.

To reset a forgotten ScreenTime passcode on older versions of iOS/iPadOS, the iPad must be reset “as new”, losing all locally stored data. In this situation, you’ll not be able to restore your data from an iCloud or iTunes backup - as the forgotten passcode is integral to the backup.

I hope this information is helpful to you in successfully resetting your forgotten passcode.

restriction passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.