Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to sum hours if they are after certain hour

Hi, I'm tracking my working hours but i've run into this problem.

Every hour worked after 10PM is worth 20.63% more per hour. What I'm trying to do is to use a conditional so Numbers will count all my hours worked after 10PM and add them up to multiply by the value, so I can then add it to my base salary. 

Is there a way to do this or should I just keep adding my hours by myself and calculating the product every time?

Here is an example where I calculated my night hours (hours worked after 10PM) and then did PRODUCT(week D10, values B2) and added it up to the base pay on Total pay.

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 7:32 AM

luq45 wrote:

What I'm trying to do is to use a conditional so Numbers will count all my hours worked after 10PM and add them up to multiply by the value, so I can then add it to my base salary. 

You can count the hours After 22:00 with something like this:

In E2, filled or copied down the column:

=IF(OR(ISBLANK(B2),ISBLANK(C2)),"",DUR2HOURS(MOD(C2−"22:00",DURATION(0,0,24))))

In D2, filled or copied down:

=IF(OR(ISBLANK(B2),ISBLANK(C2)),"",DUR2HOURS(MOD(C2−B2,DURATION(0,0,24))))

The IF and OR are just testing for blanks so you don't get a warning triangle for a day like Wednesday, where you haven't entered hours.

The heart of the formulas is:

=DUR2HOURS(MOD(C2−"22:00",DURATION(0,0,24)))

=DUR2HOURS(MOD(C2−B2,DURATION(0,0,24)))

The MOD applies the 24 hour clock so you can enter 00:00 when checking out at midnight and not get a negative number.

The DURATION(0,0,24) simply means 24 hours. In some regions you could use "24h" in the formula instead to make it shorter, e.g.:

=DUR2HOURS(MOD(C2−"22:00","24h"))

DUR2HOURS converts to decimal hours for use in further calculations to derive your pay.

Your "Regular" or "Day" hours are simply the Total minus the After 10:00, or =D$10−E$10 in this example.

Be sure to substitute ; for , in the formulas if your region uses , as a decimal separator.

SG

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2020 7:32 AM in response to luq45

luq45 wrote:

What I'm trying to do is to use a conditional so Numbers will count all my hours worked after 10PM and add them up to multiply by the value, so I can then add it to my base salary. 

You can count the hours After 22:00 with something like this:

In E2, filled or copied down the column:

=IF(OR(ISBLANK(B2),ISBLANK(C2)),"",DUR2HOURS(MOD(C2−"22:00",DURATION(0,0,24))))

In D2, filled or copied down:

=IF(OR(ISBLANK(B2),ISBLANK(C2)),"",DUR2HOURS(MOD(C2−B2,DURATION(0,0,24))))

The IF and OR are just testing for blanks so you don't get a warning triangle for a day like Wednesday, where you haven't entered hours.

The heart of the formulas is:

=DUR2HOURS(MOD(C2−"22:00",DURATION(0,0,24)))

=DUR2HOURS(MOD(C2−B2,DURATION(0,0,24)))

The MOD applies the 24 hour clock so you can enter 00:00 when checking out at midnight and not get a negative number.

The DURATION(0,0,24) simply means 24 hours. In some regions you could use "24h" in the formula instead to make it shorter, e.g.:

=DUR2HOURS(MOD(C2−"22:00","24h"))

DUR2HOURS converts to decimal hours for use in further calculations to derive your pay.

Your "Regular" or "Day" hours are simply the Total minus the After 10:00, or =D$10−E$10 in this example.

Be sure to substitute ; for , in the formulas if your region uses , as a decimal separator.

SG

How to sum hours if they are after certain hour

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.