Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i moved from the US to the UK and have 31K photos on my Icloud. Apple say that I can not transfer my Icloud to the UK without loosing all photos, is that really true?

I moved from the US to the UK and have 31K photos in my Icloud. Apple say that I can not transfer my Icloud to the UK without loosing all photos, is that really true?

Is there a way to transfer my photos during the change from US to the UK?

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 7:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 4:31 PM

Is this because of a storage subscription? If so, can you turn off iCloud photos, choose keep originals, set up the UK subscription storage and then re-enable iCloud photo? Or transfer them temporarily to a laptop or desktop storage and then upload them again later.

Personally, I did not know that subscription storage couldn’t be transferred from one country’s subscription rate to another. So if that’s the cause, I would definitely suggest transferring them to a computer anyway for safe keeping - buy an external drive if needed, but back them up somewhere independently no matter what.

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

and Get help with iCloud Photos - Apple Support

If you have Optimize Storage turned on, you might not have all of your original photos and videos on your device. To download the original photos and videos on your iOS device, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos and select Download and Keep Originals. On your Mac, open Photos, choose Photos > Preferences, then select Download Originals to this Mac. Then you can turn off iCloud Photos. You can also select the photos and videos that you want to download from iCloud.com.”

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2020 4:31 PM in response to Cgehring1967

Is this because of a storage subscription? If so, can you turn off iCloud photos, choose keep originals, set up the UK subscription storage and then re-enable iCloud photo? Or transfer them temporarily to a laptop or desktop storage and then upload them again later.

Personally, I did not know that subscription storage couldn’t be transferred from one country’s subscription rate to another. So if that’s the cause, I would definitely suggest transferring them to a computer anyway for safe keeping - buy an external drive if needed, but back them up somewhere independently no matter what.

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

and Get help with iCloud Photos - Apple Support

If you have Optimize Storage turned on, you might not have all of your original photos and videos on your device. To download the original photos and videos on your iOS device, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos and select Download and Keep Originals. On your Mac, open Photos, choose Photos > Preferences, then select Download Originals to this Mac. Then you can turn off iCloud Photos. You can also select the photos and videos that you want to download from iCloud.com.”

Oct 19, 2020 8:48 AM in response to Cgehring1967

Why would you need to transfer them. Just use the same AppleID with iCloud you’ve always used. Just update the information for that AppleID to reflect your new residence. Your iCloud account is tied to your AppleID, not the country your in nor to any particular device you own.

Login to your AppleID -> https://appleid.apple.com/ and edit the contact information there.

i moved from the US to the UK and have 31K photos on my Icloud. Apple say that I can not transfer my Icloud to the UK without loosing all photos, is that really true?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.