Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air errors even after re-install

I've got a MacBook Air running Catalina. After an failure to login after booting, I've deleted the hard drives and re-installed Catalina repeatedly, but after re-installing I always have the same issues:

• Once going into sleep (or just switching off the display), it fails to wake from sleep. The keyboard lights come on but the screen stays dark, and after a little while it reboots showing a message that it rebooted because of an error.
  • Sometimes opening the App Store causes the computer to freeze. After reboot, as soon as it logs in an gives the error report notification (but with App Store open) then it freezes again. You can get it to not freeze if you close the App Store immediately.

When booting into Safe Mode that wake from sleep works without any problems.

I've tried re-installing using the various boot recovery modes (command + r; command + option + r; shift+command+option+r), and also tried making the drive afs or afs encrypted.

model nr is A1466

Also tried to see if I could get some insight by using console, but the console doesn't log any messages after choosing sleep.

I've also disabled sleep, and then the computer stays on indefinitely.

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 1:39 PM

Did you try an SMC Reset and a PRAM Reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes)?

Try unchecking "Put hard drive to sleep when possible" located in the Energy Saver System Preferences. Maybe the SSD is having trouble waking up.

Run DriveDx and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. During the trial period you can run the SSD's built-in short self-diagnostic.

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any problem shows up.

If you performed a clean install of macOS by first erasing the whole physical drive and tested it before installing third party apps or restoring/migrating from a backup, then you seem to have some type of hardware issue. You will need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to provide you with a repair estimate.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2020 1:39 PM in response to koosswart

Did you try an SMC Reset and a PRAM Reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes)?

Try unchecking "Put hard drive to sleep when possible" located in the Energy Saver System Preferences. Maybe the SSD is having trouble waking up.

Run DriveDx and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. During the trial period you can run the SSD's built-in short self-diagnostic.

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any problem shows up.

If you performed a clean install of macOS by first erasing the whole physical drive and tested it before installing third party apps or restoring/migrating from a backup, then you seem to have some type of hardware issue. You will need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to provide you with a repair estimate.

Macbook Air errors even after re-install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.