Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Pro Minimum Focus Distance?

I haven’t found it in published specs. Perhaps someone with a keener eye than mine knows the answer? Anyone? Thanks!

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 7:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 6:04 PM

Well, I did the obvious thing and measured it for myself. With the iPhone 12 Pro camera in normal ("PHOTO") mode at 1x the minimum focus distance is approximately 8 cm / 3.15 in. The attached photo was made with the iPhone attached to a tripod. The photo is cropped vertically to eliminate distracting background details, but is not cropped horizontally, i.e., the full 4032 pixels of width are preserved without enlargement or reduction. The subject, a somewhat tarnished sterling silver elephant box made by Royal Silversmith to the late King Norodom Sihanouk of Kampuchea, is 8 cm in length, tip of tusks to tip of tail. This looks like a grayscale photo, but it is a color photo of a scene in shades of gray! Lighting was a simple LED desk lamp.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2020 6:04 PM in response to sancia

Well, I did the obvious thing and measured it for myself. With the iPhone 12 Pro camera in normal ("PHOTO") mode at 1x the minimum focus distance is approximately 8 cm / 3.15 in. The attached photo was made with the iPhone attached to a tripod. The photo is cropped vertically to eliminate distracting background details, but is not cropped horizontally, i.e., the full 4032 pixels of width are preserved without enlargement or reduction. The subject, a somewhat tarnished sterling silver elephant box made by Royal Silversmith to the late King Norodom Sihanouk of Kampuchea, is 8 cm in length, tip of tusks to tip of tail. This looks like a grayscale photo, but it is a color photo of a scene in shades of gray! Lighting was a simple LED desk lamp.

Oct 25, 2020 2:04 PM in response to David Illig

Hey there David,

We'd like to help answer your question as best we can. While we're unsure of what you meant by 'minimum focus distance', any tech specs that are available would be the ones to refer to when looking up information about the iPhone 12 Pro models. We recommend checking under the 'Camera' section here: iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max - Technical Specifications

Take care!

Nov 18, 2020 3:35 PM in response to rccharles

There is an assumption the reader is familiar with photography terminology...

I am quite certain that the meaning of the phrase minimum focus distance was self evident when first I encountered it. Terms like high-speed sync, rolling shutter, mirror slap, pentaprism, depth-of-field, were not so obvious to me. But minimum focus distance, definitely. I'd bet I'm not the only person for whom this is true.

iPhone 12 Pro Minimum Focus Distance?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.