Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV remote pairing

i am trying to pair an Apple remote (4th gen) to an Apple TV 2nd gen. Once i hold the up volume button and the menu button at the same time, it gives me 3 blinks. then when i start pressing any button on the remote, it still gives me 3 blinks and nothing will respond? can someone help me?

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 11:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 12:41 AM

From what I understand in your description this can't be done. Apple's support page here indicates that the remotes for the Apple TV HD (the 4th version of the hardware) do not pair with the 2nd generation Apple TV.

The support page states "Compatibility: Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD".

You will need to use either the older aluminium remote control or the white remote control with the Apple TV 2nd generation.

One other option is the Apple TV Remote app on an iPhone. The support document says it is not compatible with a 2nd generation Apple TV but it works fine with mine.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2020 12:41 AM in response to azach2721

From what I understand in your description this can't be done. Apple's support page here indicates that the remotes for the Apple TV HD (the 4th version of the hardware) do not pair with the 2nd generation Apple TV.

The support page states "Compatibility: Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD".

You will need to use either the older aluminium remote control or the white remote control with the Apple TV 2nd generation.

One other option is the Apple TV Remote app on an iPhone. The support document says it is not compatible with a 2nd generation Apple TV but it works fine with mine.

Apple TV remote pairing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.