Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete songs from iPad

I've followed the steps to delete songs from my iPad (but keep them in iCloud) but the songs won't delete. Any suggestions?

iPad (5th gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2020 7:12 AM

skwyd42,

Thank you for trying those steps. Have you restarted your iPad since this issue began? If not, let's start there first.

We also see that you've mentioned that the Settings app freezes when you try to delete content there. Let's have you follow these steps anytime you notice that behavior: If an app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open

Also, how were these songs added to your iPad? Did you purchase or download them using iTunes/Apple Music on your iPad? Were they synced using a computer?

If they were manually synced, you will need to turn off syncing to remove them from your device. For steps, look here under "Sync or remove content using iTunes " : Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer

Cheers!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2020 7:12 AM in response to skwyd42

skwyd42,

Thank you for trying those steps. Have you restarted your iPad since this issue began? If not, let's start there first.

We also see that you've mentioned that the Settings app freezes when you try to delete content there. Let's have you follow these steps anytime you notice that behavior: If an app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open

Also, how were these songs added to your iPad? Did you purchase or download them using iTunes/Apple Music on your iPad? Were they synced using a computer?

If they were manually synced, you will need to turn off syncing to remove them from your device. For steps, look here under "Sync or remove content using iTunes " : Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer

Cheers!

Oct 26, 2020 6:06 AM in response to skwyd42

Hi there skwyd42!

It sounds like you are having trouble deleting music from your iPad. We understand how confusing it can be, and would like to help you get to the bottom of this.

We see that you've mentioned keeping the songs in iCloud, does the music that you are seeing appear with a cloud symbol next to the song? If so, that means that the song is stored in the cloud and not on your device.

Let's have you go through these steps to delete your songs: Delete music, movies, and TV shows from your device

Are you still seeing the songs but now with a cloud symbol?

We hope this helps.

Enjoy your weekend!

Oct 26, 2020 10:42 AM in response to karina184

Thanks for the reply. However, none of those steps are working. They are definitely on my iPad (the cloud symbol does not appear and they are listed under “downloaded music” as well).

I’ve gone through the steps for songs where I press and hold a song, wait for the menu to come up, select “remove”, and then “remove download”. Nothing happens. I’ve done this process on my iPhone without issue. But it doesn’t work on my iPad.

Also, if I try to delete them under “settings>general>iPad storage, it locks up the settings app and I have to exit it with the home button.

So, none of the basic methods seem to be working.

Can't delete songs from iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.