You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14 Clock Widget always Dark

iPhone XS Max, iOS 14.0.1, using 24-hour time

I have the iOS 14 clock widget on my Home Screen.

The background is supposed to be white for daytime, and grey for night. This works fine for maybe 24 hours, but the next morning, instead of the background being white - even hours after sunrise - it remains grey. 

If I change to a different city in the same time zone, or if I toggle from 24-hour time to 12 and back to 24, it will properly switch the background until the next morning. 

I’ve been swapping between Boston and New York, and toggling 24 hour time for a week now, and same thing keeps happening. Even after restarting the iPhone. 

I've not found any setting in iOS to "fix" this.

TIA

iPhone XS Max, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 20, 2020 10:47 AM

4 replies

Oct 26, 2020 9:02 AM in response to Larry West

Hello Larry West,

We're happy to help you with this trouble you're having with the clock widget on your iPhone XS Max. Let’s get your iOS version updated to fix this trouble. We have released a new version of the software (14.1) that should help resolve your issue. Make sure you have a backup first: 

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Once backed up, go ahead and get your iPhone updated: 

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch 

Should the issue persist, try removing the widget and then adding it again. You can find steps here:

Use widgets on your iPhone and iPod touch

Let us know if that helps you.

Have a great day!

iOS 14 Clock Widget always Dark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.