Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I backup my macbook air to a wd easystore external hard drive?

MacBook

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 3:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 9:51 PM

Since most drives are formatted for Windows, make sure you format it for Mac (Mac OS Extended) and erase whatever software is on it during that process. External drives do not need any software or app to be able to function. The website for yours does mention that it needs reformatting; it also mentions that it contains backup software and that it needs to be "installed". Neither is necessary or recommended on a Mac. Simply plug it in, use Disk Utility to erase and format it, and you're ready to go, especially if you will be using Time Machine.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2020 9:51 PM in response to raygb

Since most drives are formatted for Windows, make sure you format it for Mac (Mac OS Extended) and erase whatever software is on it during that process. External drives do not need any software or app to be able to function. The website for yours does mention that it needs reformatting; it also mentions that it contains backup software and that it needs to be "installed". Neither is necessary or recommended on a Mac. Simply plug it in, use Disk Utility to erase and format it, and you're ready to go, especially if you will be using Time Machine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.