Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Export Notes as PDF on iPad OS 14

I could not find any way to export notes as PDF on iPad OS 14.

It still works on my Macbook though.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Oct 22, 2020 2:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2020 3:47 AM

Ha, I just found out how to do it, but it is a bit cumbersome / unintuitive ...

When I choose "Send a Copy", I can select "Markup" from there, then it generates a PDF, I just don't do any markup there and just press "Done", then it asks me where to store as PDF...

Then it looks like this, I just press "Done":

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2020 3:47 AM in response to BstBln

Ha, I just found out how to do it, but it is a bit cumbersome / unintuitive ...

When I choose "Send a Copy", I can select "Markup" from there, then it generates a PDF, I just don't do any markup there and just press "Done", then it asks me where to store as PDF...

Then it looks like this, I just press "Done":

Oct 22, 2020 4:03 AM in response to BstBln

Curious; You are quite correct in your observations.

When Saving to Files, some Notes will export as PDF (hence the described workflow), but others will export as an entirely different filetype - such as a pair of files, PNG and Text.

I confess, I’m not a great user of the Notes App (generally used for scanning paper documents) - and these always export to Files as a PDF. Please accept my apologies for providing leading your astray. I’ll work on this some more as time allows.

In the meantime, here’s a [hopefully] viable workaround...

Install the Adobe Acrobat Reader App:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/adobe-acrobat-reader-for-docs/id469337564

Once installed, this will add additional options to the Notes Action menu - where you can export the Note directly to Adobe (creating a PDF).

Once exported to the Adobe Reader App, open the file - and from the ellipsis icon, select Save a Copy - then choose the destination path of your choice.

Hopefully this will provide a more helpful and usable workaround solution while I work on the native alternative. 🙂

Postscript

Our replies crossed. You identified the next workaround that I was about to fully verify and document.

Oct 22, 2020 3:02 AM in response to BstBln

It’s easy to save a Note as a PDF. Here’s the workflow...

From the Notes App, assuming the Note is open... tap the ellipsis (three dots) icon, then tap Send a Copy:

An actions menu will appear. Scroll down the list of actions - and select Save to Files. Choose a path/folder and tap Save; a PDF copy of the Note will be saved.

I hope this simple procedure is helpful in resolving your issue.

Oct 22, 2020 3:25 AM in response to LotusPilot

Hey,

thanks for taking the time to reply, even with a screenshot :)

Unfortunately it did not help. When I do this, I actually experience two different behaviours:

In case the note is pure text, it stores the file as text file. I did not find a way to choose PDF as type anywhere on the way:

"Text" (the grey box on the right of the preview icon) is not the type, it is the file name. If I change it to PDF, I get a file "PDF.txt"...

However, when my note is a mix of say, pictures and some stuff hand-drawn with Apple Pencil, it will offer me to store all items of the note individually as png. So I end up with 3 png files in my folder, partly pictures, partly drawings, partly text...

Here's what I get, three files:

How did you manage to get a PDF, what type of note did you save? With drawing or just text?

Were you able to change the type from PDF to something else?

Many thanks,

Bernhard

Oct 22, 2020 4:08 AM in response to LotusPilot

Hey, once again many thanks for your support!

The workaround with Acrobat Reader does not work with that note that ended up as three files in my folder, if I export it to Acrobat Reader, it ends up as 3 files in Acrobat which I can convert to PDF individually, but not the note as a whole.

I'm afraid the cumbersome/unexpected workaround I found is the only one working for me so far, but at least it looks like a stable solution.

Export Notes as PDF on iPad OS 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.