Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help using newer iTunes library on older MacBook Air

I put a copy of my iTunes library onto an external hard drive. I tried to choose the library using my Macbook Air 2011 and it says the library was created with a newer version of iTunes and wouldn't allow it. How can I make this library work with my older MacBook?

Posted on Oct 22, 2020 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2020 5:24 PM

If there is an iTunes Library XML file in the iTunes folder then you could potentially create a new empty library and import the XML file to rebuild the library for use with the older version. Failing that you need to reconnect to a more recent version of iTunes and export the library as an XML file, before going back to the Macbook Air 2011 where you can import it.

tt2

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2020 5:24 PM in response to ecleage

If there is an iTunes Library XML file in the iTunes folder then you could potentially create a new empty library and import the XML file to rebuild the library for use with the older version. Failing that you need to reconnect to a more recent version of iTunes and export the library as an XML file, before going back to the Macbook Air 2011 where you can import it.

tt2

Oct 22, 2020 6:00 PM in response to ecleage

Locate the library on the external drive and rename the files:

iTunes Library.itl

iTunes Library.xml

iTunes Library Extras.itdb

iTunes Library Genius.itdb

to say:

iTunes Library (Old).itl

iTunes Library (Old).xml

iTunes Library Extras (Old).itdb

iTunes Library Genius (Old).itdb

Then use the option-start-iTunes method to create a new empty library somewhere convenient such as the desktop. Close iTunes and copy the files:

iTunes Library.itl

iTunes Library Extras.itdb

iTunes Library Genius.itdb

into the iTunes folder on the external drive. Option-start-iTunes once more to open this copy of the empty library, then use File > Library > Import Playlist to import iTunes Library (Old).xml.

tt2

Help using newer iTunes library on older MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.