Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)

Out of the blue, Image Scanner is no longer working. The error message says "Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)"

I have a Mac, wirelessly connected to a HP8600 printer. Using Catalina operating system.

Tried unplugging printer, printer power cable, and then replugging everything after several minutes. No luck.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 3:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 8:34 AM

while other posts suggest the solution is resetting the printer system under system preferences this was not a complete working solution for me. As a second step i needed to go to my printers websetup page (usually the printers IP adress) and deactivate IPv6 completely. only after deactivating and then resetting the printer system in macOS i was able to regain access to my scanner completely.

hope this helps!

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2020 8:34 AM in response to shspw

while other posts suggest the solution is resetting the printer system under system preferences this was not a complete working solution for me. As a second step i needed to go to my printers websetup page (usually the printers IP adress) and deactivate IPv6 completely. only after deactivating and then resetting the printer system in macOS i was able to regain access to my scanner completely.

hope this helps!

Oct 25, 2020 6:07 AM in response to Robert_France

I have got my HP scanner working! Obtain you HP printer's IP address from network settings page in the printer and type this into your web browser. This opens the HP Embedded Web Server for your printer. Open the Scan tab. Load your document and press Start Scan button. Your scanner should now scan. To save the scanned image press the image preview button in the dark grey line near the bottom of the image. This will open Mac Preview and allow you to save the document to your Mac. Hope this works for you.

Oct 26, 2020 8:08 AM in response to Robert_France

Now resolved the issue. Removed my HP printer from Printers & scanners. Reset the NVRAM by shutting down my mac, then turned back on again immediately holding these four keys together: Option, Command, P and R. You can release the keys after about 20 seconds. Having done that I downloaded the latest drivers for my printer from HP.com and then added my printer back to the Mac. The printer AND scanner now works as it did before.

Nov 18, 2020 9:33 AM in response to shspw

I was able to solve this problem by adding my scanner's software to the list of allowed software connections under the Security & Privacy, Firewall, Firewall Options setting page. Once you have the Firewall Options screen open, click the plus sign and then locate your scanner's software. In my specific case, Epson Scan 2 was the application I needed to add to restore my Mac's connection to my Epson scanner. FWW, my Epson scanner is directly connected via a USB cable. This solution also worked for my wireless Canon printer/scanner as well.

Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.