You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone XS frozen since update

I recently updated my iPhone (to 10.4.2?, the latest) and today, moments after I started using it this morning, fully-charged, it stopped working. I can't get it to respond in any way. When I went to shut down/restart, it is now stuck. Holding the two top/side buttons activates SOS Emergency (though neither an ambulance nor police have showed up, and my family hasn't written in alarm) but it won't shut off.

The only thing I can think to do is wait all day until the battery dies, then hope a restart makes it function again.

Any alternative fixes would be dearly welcome.

iPhone XS

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 6:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 8:04 AM

Got another old standby if you are indeed using the iPhone X like myself, press and release Volume Up, Volume Down, then press and HOLD the sleep wake button. After about 10 seconds or so the display should go black, keep holding the side button a few more moments and the Apple Logo should come up.... hopefully.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 23, 2020 8:04 AM in response to Gerret Warner

Got another old standby if you are indeed using the iPhone X like myself, press and release Volume Up, Volume Down, then press and HOLD the sleep wake button. After about 10 seconds or so the display should go black, keep holding the side button a few more moments and the Apple Logo should come up.... hopefully.

Oct 23, 2020 7:48 AM in response to Gerret Warner

Hey Gerret!

Seems like your poor phone has certainly got some funk going on. My first suggestion would be to hold the VOLUME DOWN and the Sleep/wake button for about 10-15 seconds, maybe up to 30, the phone should shut down and attempt to restart. Once you see the apple logo come up, let go of the buttons and see if normal operation returns. If it continues, you may want to try to force the update through a computer. If you need help with that let us know and we will be happy to help. And by that I do mean a forced re-update of the device in an attempt to preserve your data, otherwise you may have to restore it and restore from a backup.

Oct 23, 2020 7:58 AM in response to nny1001

Thanks for the prompt reply. Holding Volume Down and the Sleep button shows counts on my Emergency SOS, and I'm afraid it will call 911, though it hasn't yet. So far, holding the side buttons hasn't yielded any other results.

I can't manage the update through my MacBook Pro without updating to the latest OS and I'm loath to do that because I have ongoing video editing projects and can't afford any mishaps on that front.

Other ideas?

Iphone XS frozen since update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.