Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Preferences won't work in Catalina

When I try to open Preferences in Mail, all I get is a blank screen. I have tried numerous "fixes" offered from others and nothing works. When I restart in Safe Mode, Preferences works. But when I restart in regular mode, it doesn't work. Are there any fixes I can do without having to reinstall the OS?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 1:41 PM

I'm not sure reinstalling the OS will help here because the fact that it works in Safe Mode means that something else you have installed is causing a conflict and preventing Mail Preferences form opening. Reinstalling the OS replace the Mac OS and programs like Mail but does not uninstall other extensions you have installed.

You can also check this another way by creating a new user (or login in as a different already existing user) and if Mail Preferences works there, that would prove that the Mac OS is ok and it is some user-specific extension that is causing the problem.

What extensions have you installed? Do you have any anti-virus or "protection" software? Running Etrecheck (which can be downloaded in a free version form) can provide insights.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2020 1:41 PM in response to spinleaf

I'm not sure reinstalling the OS will help here because the fact that it works in Safe Mode means that something else you have installed is causing a conflict and preventing Mail Preferences form opening. Reinstalling the OS replace the Mac OS and programs like Mail but does not uninstall other extensions you have installed.

You can also check this another way by creating a new user (or login in as a different already existing user) and if Mail Preferences works there, that would prove that the Mac OS is ok and it is some user-specific extension that is causing the problem.

What extensions have you installed? Do you have any anti-virus or "protection" software? Running Etrecheck (which can be downloaded in a free version form) can provide insights.

Oct 23, 2020 9:21 PM in response to spinleaf

spinleaf Said:

"Mail Preferences won't work in Catalina: When I try to open Preferences in Mail, all I get is a blank screen. I have tried numerous 'fixes' offered from others and nothing works. When I restart in Safe Mode, Preferences works. But when I restart in regular mode, it doesn't work. Are there any fixes I can do without having to reinstall the OS?"

-------

Important:

If you go about reinstalling the macOS...

Create a Time Machine Backup, First:

Prior to the re-installation of your macOS, be certain to backup your Mac using a Time Machine Backup. That way, you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Use an external hard drive that is at least 1.5 the total storage capacity as what is installed.

Oct 23, 2020 2:32 PM in response to steve626

Thank you. I will create a new user and see what happens. The only software that i can recall installing recently is the updates for Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Bridge). No anti-virus or "protection" software. Worse case scenario, I can always go into Safe Mode if I need to make changes to Mail Preferences, even though it's a bit of a pain in the butt.

Mail Preferences won't work in Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.