Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The new IPad Pro and usb

Hey, Apple announces that the new iPad Pro will replace computers or laptops, I do need a new computer/laptop in a short time and the battery of my iPad is also deteriorating, so this device could be a purchase of 2 in 1.

I do have a few external hard disks that I now connect to my computer via usb, can they still be connected to the iPad Pro?

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 10:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 10:53 PM

The short answer is: Yes!

The long answer is: Yes, but there are some restrictions and limitations.

To know more, please read this Community answer : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251945014?answerId=253710192022#253710192022

and this Apple Support article: Connect external devices or servers with Files on iPad - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2020 10:53 PM in response to PJDK1983

The short answer is: Yes!

The long answer is: Yes, but there are some restrictions and limitations.

To know more, please read this Community answer : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251945014?answerId=253710192022#253710192022

and this Apple Support article: Connect external devices or servers with Files on iPad - Apple Support

Oct 24, 2020 1:51 AM in response to PJDK1983

Whilst iPadOS provides limited support for connection of external HDDs, you may experience difficulties.

For iPadOS13/14 to access external media, it must be formatted as FAT, FAT32 or exFAT (FAT64) for universal readability across Apple, Microsoft or Linux systems - or additionally APFS if only used with Apple systems. NTFS and other proprietary formats are not supported. Drive formatting must be performed on other computing devices; drive formatting actions are not supported by iPadOS.

Additionally for compatibility with iPadOS, the drive must only have only single partition.

HDDs tend to more problematic with iPadOS than flash-based storage media - such as USB thumb-drives. Unless the HDD has its own source of power, you will likely need to provide additional power to the HDD via a powered USB hub - as the iPad will not be able to provide sufficient power.

Dependent upon your model of iPad, you will need to use an appropriate adapter (such as the Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adaptor - for devices that use a Lightning connector) or directly using USB-C for the most recent models of iPad Pro. When using USB-C, you may still need to use a self-powered HDD or powered USB hub to provide adequate power to the system.

I hope you find this to be helpful in providing some useful clarity.

The new IPad Pro and usb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.