Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Watch is not backing up.

Every time I get a new watch or phone I end up losing all my watch data as backups are not occurring the way they are supposed to. I follow the steps to backup my phone, unpair the watch and pair the new watch or pair the watch with a new iPhone. Every time I go to restore from backup no recent backup exists. This is getting insanely annoying and makes me not want to buy new products until this is resolved. Why there isn’t a manual option for this is beyond comprehension. When looking at the watch backups on iPhone storage I have one complete backup from august of last year. The one from sep 28, 2020 was a backup created from my new watch 6 after unpairing shortly after setup while trying to find a current backup and contains no useful information. Apple help was unable to assist but the problem is persisting. With the 12max going on sale next week I’d like to figure this out. What is going wrong here? Why is this not working the way it should? I know it’s a first world problem but it’s insanely annoying to have to completely reconfigure the watch every time I upgrade

Apple Watch Sport

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 1:42 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Oct 24, 2020 2:29 AM in response to Community User

Thank you but Since I don’t have the dongle to plug my phone into my MacBook and don’t plan to buy one any time soon I’d rather figure out how to get the feature working properly. For the money apple is charging these days, these devices should work the way they are supposed to. Furthermore, how would one access a watch backup on the MacBook as they are restored using iCloud.

Oct 24, 2020 3:16 AM in response to Jasonchristopher76

The watch data is kept on the phone not the watch,there is almost no data on a watch once it has uploaded it to the phone.

all your watch data is in the health app and activity/fitness app on the phone.

Oct 24, 2020 3:48 AM in response to Community User

I understand how it works. I’m concerned about Watch faces, settings, configuration etc. it’s a pain to have to reconfigure this every time I get a new device. It should be backing up, and the backup should be stored on the iPhone. But again it hasn’t done so since august of last year. According to apple this back up should be occurring regularly with iCloud backups and also when the watch is unpaired. It’s not. That is the question. Why are watch backups not being crated?

My Apple Watch is not backing up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.