Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

spinning wheel icon next to wi-fi indicating network activity

how do I stop the spinning wheel next to the WI-FI icon from constantly spinning?  It's eating up data and reducing battery power.  I've actually figured out what triggers this constant network activity. After I hard reset the I-Phone SE to stop the constant network activity, I can use every app with no problems until I use the microphone on the key pad to write/voice a text message or a note, then the wheel starts spinning non-stop until I restart the phone.   Does anyone know how to correct this problem?????????

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 5:11 PM

The spinning icon means that some app is using data. You need to troubleshoot that. If you are using dictation everything you dictate is sent to Apple’s speech recognition server to perform speech to text, and the result is then sent back to your phone. This is the same server that Siri uses. So while you are dictating it will use data continuously, and for a while after you stop as it tries to refine the recognition.

But to troubleshoot go to Settings/Cellular and tap Reset Statistics, and turn off Wi-Fi, so all data goes over cellular. As you use the phone note when it is using data. After a few hours go to Settings/Cellular and the apps that have used data will be listed at the top of the page. You can see which ones used the most.

357 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2020 5:11 PM in response to machinist_5

The spinning icon means that some app is using data. You need to troubleshoot that. If you are using dictation everything you dictate is sent to Apple’s speech recognition server to perform speech to text, and the result is then sent back to your phone. This is the same server that Siri uses. So while you are dictating it will use data continuously, and for a while after you stop as it tries to refine the recognition.

But to troubleshoot go to Settings/Cellular and tap Reset Statistics, and turn off Wi-Fi, so all data goes over cellular. As you use the phone note when it is using data. After a few hours go to Settings/Cellular and the apps that have used data will be listed at the top of the page. You can see which ones used the most.

Dec 30, 2020 1:59 PM in response to 2010StreetGlide

2010StreetGlide Said:

"Let’s face it Apple products are lacking in every way. I tried everything and they admit it’s a software problem but don’t do anything about it. I have a brand new IPhone Se 2020 for sale now. I never had an Android but I’m buying one now."

-------

Provide Apple with Feedback:

Do your Part: If something is not hurting your needs, in one manor or another, then provide Apple Feedback on it. Let them know what is going on, how you have troubleshot it thus far, and how you think things should be made/developed differently. Using another computer or portable device, provide Apple with feedback on this. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more they hear of this, the more they will know what is going on, and what needs to be fixed.

To Provide Feedback:

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Proceed form there as necessary

Oct 28, 2020 9:35 AM in response to Halliday

I have the same iPad Pro 12.9 iPadOS 14.1 and have seen the same perpetual spinning network activity since I started using the dictation. You can stop it with resetting the Network Settings or restarting the iPad but invariably (and it does not matter if it is using Safari, Chrome or Firefox....) it comes back. I even got it to trigger by doing voice dictation in Notes. If you do one quick dictation it does not trigger it all the time but repeated dictations with short pauses between “thoughts” does trigger it. I’ve been on the phone with Apple Support and they suggested I do a complete reset at this point :/

Oct 29, 2020 11:36 AM in response to limberlostgirl

My Iphone 7 doen't have this issue., only the Iphone SE 2020.

limberlostgirl can you try something to see if its the same on your device as it is on mine?

1. restart your phone
  2. start a new note
  3. on the keyboard press the microphone button and the wheel will start to spin..... but don't say anything.
  4. press cancel and the wheel should stop spinning.
  5. start another note
  6. press the microphone key again...... this time say something and see if that wheel spins non-stop.

if it spins non-stop after following the steps above it's a problem with Apple

Oct 25, 2020 9:33 AM in response to Halliday

I backed up the iphone se for the first time because i was going to factory reset the device as  ChrisJ4203 suggested. So before the factory reset I tried the voice dictation to see if it would trigger the constant network activity and I think backing up the device resolved the problem, because for the first time in three months I don't see constant network activity!

"If the problem persists I will re-post"!

I want to thank everyone for their input....

Feb 17, 2021 6:11 PM in response to 1234x

Thanks. I actually had an engineer call me on another matter but then I transitioned to this subject and although he was very very helpful and intelligent he basically told me not to worry about it.

I’m also sure everybody is aware of the Apple feedback page where you can submit a bug report if that’s what we want to call this.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Dec 12, 2020 11:03 AM in response to Podgirlfromtheblacklagoon

I saw previously that your issue was with the iPad, and I don’t mean to exclude your issue, it’s just that while searching online for people experiencing this problem, it overwhelmingly seems to be new SE phones. That’s leading me to believe that the more isolated cases of other iOS models which have the problem might actually be a separate issue for those owners (such as yourself). Perhaps not though.

Same exact issue for you?

• Persistent spinning network activity indicator under the following conditions
  • Only when activating dictation through the Apple keyboard, regardless of the app the dictation is being used in
  • Occurs on cellular or WiFi
  • Does NOT occur if using third-party dictation, such as GBoard and Google dictation services
  • A phone restart or network reset are the only ways to get the spinning indicator to go away

Dec 30, 2020 3:55 PM in response to 2010StreetGlide

2010StreetGlide Said:

"Also spoke to apple 5 times no one was able to fix the problem which included resetting my phone. Also it would l be much easier if the advisers understood and spoke English........ goodbye IPhone .... Hello Android !!!! No updates on Android devices as they get it right the first time."

-------

See if this helps:

To fix this, first backup* your iPhone and then restore** it from the backup. See where things go from there.

* Backing Up: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

** Restoring: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Suopport

Mar 5, 2021 7:21 PM in response to dedfar

dedfar wrote:

This is a bug. I have filed a case and uploaded a screen recording showing the bug. …

I’m glad you filed a bug report on this.

All people that are experiencing this—that want Apple to do something about it—should do similarly. (After all. Commenting here will not change Apple’s products.)

… I also had my iPhone going through a proxy with wireshark and there was little-to-no activity, so Siri's dictation is doing something funky. Let's hope they fix it soon. …

I’m very glad you performed this test.

This confirms what some of us have suspected: the «spinning wheel» is not indicating actual network activity, in this case!

(Likewise, it is unlikely that there is any significant computer resource use, either.)

https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/feedback/9031473

That only lets you see your own Feedback. It doesn’t allow anyone else to even see it, let alone add any input.

Dec 8, 2020 8:06 AM in response to Machine_Ruse

Two possibilities:

1. Go to Settings/Screen Time and see if there are any restrictions about changing settings that would affect cellular data.
  2. You have a work, organization or school email account, or your phone is under a Mobile Device Management plan and your administrator has disabled the ability to reset statistics.

You can still note (perhaps with screen shots) mobile data usage, and compare it with usage a day later.

Afterthought: If you do have MDM on your phone the spinning icon could be your phone communicating with the MDM management system.

spinning wheel icon next to wi-fi indicating network activity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.