Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what do I have to do to update the os on an early 2008 iMac?

I have an early 2008 iMac. I need to upgrade the operating system to a newer version. What do I do?

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 9:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 10:12 PM

Obsolete, yes, but still serviceable. One of my family is happily using a 2009 iMac I finished with some years ago.

If you want to upgrade your iMac to 10.11 El Capitan you can download the installer from Apple on this page here. It's a 6GB file.

Scroll down the page to point 4 and you will see the link called Download OS X El Capitan.

After that, plan your hardware upgrade path. Even if you don't wish to get a new iMac a recent refurbished model from a reputable vendor would serve you better for your future computing needs

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2020 10:12 PM in response to oldimacostoneweros

Obsolete, yes, but still serviceable. One of my family is happily using a 2009 iMac I finished with some years ago.

If you want to upgrade your iMac to 10.11 El Capitan you can download the installer from Apple on this page here. It's a 6GB file.

Scroll down the page to point 4 and you will see the link called Download OS X El Capitan.

After that, plan your hardware upgrade path. Even if you don't wish to get a new iMac a recent refurbished model from a reputable vendor would serve you better for your future computing needs

what do I have to do to update the os on an early 2008 iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.