Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 4000 while trying to update my iphone to ios 14.1

i'm facing error 4000 from itunes while trying to update my iphone X to ios 14.1 my current version is 14.0.1.

i tried updating from two different laptops

my itunes is updated to latest version

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 2:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 2:04 AM

You get past this problem by removing your PIN-code. I my case this is working, but doing so removes all your registered ApplePay-cards which you have to register again after the update (including bank approvals), which is not really acceptable for each update.

4 replies

Nov 6, 2020 1:50 AM in response to Matze177

The officical Apple support worked the problem through with me and ended up doing the update in recovery mode.

This means you have to restart your device into recovery mode (My iPhone: Switch on and hold the side button, press volume up then volume down after the logo appears while continueing to hold the side button. After a while the recovery mode is shown) and connect it to iTunes. Then choose "Update" from the given options and prepare for a long update process. Be aware that this might lead to a factory settings reset (iTunes will give you this warning too) if the process fails.

Doing it this way kept at least all settings (including registered ApplePay-cards) and caused no trouble as far as I noticed. I assume they expected that this procedure would be necessary only once, but on the current update (14.2) I ran into the update problem again.

Error 4000 while trying to update my iphone to ios 14.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.