Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Pro Battery Over heating problem?

is anyone else having over heating problems with there iPhone 12 Pro?

So today I was using my phone just using eBay and also going through old photos I felt that my phone was getting super hot. So I decided to make sure that all the apps were closed and put the phone in my pocket for 10-20 minutes to cool down. I was watching TV then I reach to get my phone and it’s still super hot! I made sure nothing was in the background open.

i was like ok something ain’t right here so I made sure that NO apps were open, then I place my phone on the table this time and it was at 70% battery. So then I go to sleep for about 3 hours when I wake up it’s dead! From 70% to 0 in 3 hours not being used at all!

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 2:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 8:37 AM

When you are streaming music, watching videos or doing anything really which uses more power, the battery works harder and when a battery works harder, it generates heat. This is normal and should be the case with ALL iPhones, past or present. What they shouldn't do however, is get so hot it's uncomfortable to hold in your hand. Your phone has circuitry designed to alert to overheating and actually shut the phone down if the heat reaches a level too high.

So, warm is OK. Too hot to hold is not. Your phone comes with a one year warranty, but If you think the battery is generating too much heat, schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar for evaluation and if Apple determines it is not operating normally, they will replace it.

On a final note, if you have just set the new phone up in the last day or two (likely since you just received the phone), it may still be indexing data, which depending on how much data you had to migrate, could take a couple of days. I would give the phone a few days before doing anything.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2020 8:37 AM in response to Christian91092

When you are streaming music, watching videos or doing anything really which uses more power, the battery works harder and when a battery works harder, it generates heat. This is normal and should be the case with ALL iPhones, past or present. What they shouldn't do however, is get so hot it's uncomfortable to hold in your hand. Your phone has circuitry designed to alert to overheating and actually shut the phone down if the heat reaches a level too high.

So, warm is OK. Too hot to hold is not. Your phone comes with a one year warranty, but If you think the battery is generating too much heat, schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar for evaluation and if Apple determines it is not operating normally, they will replace it.

On a final note, if you have just set the new phone up in the last day or two (likely since you just received the phone), it may still be indexing data, which depending on how much data you had to migrate, could take a couple of days. I would give the phone a few days before doing anything.

Nov 13, 2020 11:44 AM in response to Christian91092

I switched off 5G in the mobile network settings and the phone finally starts cooling down now. I expect that battery drain will now normalise. I have 5G from T-mobile.

But this is a serious issue as one of the reasons to acquire this phone is to use 5G. This should be solved by Apple and T-mobile. Does anyone know what 5G is doing causing this behaviourr?

cheers.

Dec 9, 2020 1:18 PM in response to Christian91092

This happens when I play candy crush. I played for about an hour today. Then noticed my phone was super hot. I started at full 100% charge, and then in about an hour it was at 10% battery remaining. I don’t think this is right. I used to play for hours on my old phone (iPhone Xr) and only use a little battery. The reason I got the new iPhone is because I wanted the better battery and not have to constantly charge it. It’s an issue.

iPhone 12 Pro Battery Over heating problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.