Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2008 slow at everything

Hello,

I have a 2008 C2D iMac that originally ran LION and is now running El Capitan, which is the last compatible OS. RAM is using 6Go of 8Go available. Internal HDD has been swapped out from the original 320Go to a 1Tb mechanical drive. Three user accounts.

Startup very slow - that's just to get to the user account choice screen

User account startup - very slow.

Any application - very slow.

Slow = 2 to 5 minutes.

I have done all the usual checks.

PRAM

Disk utility and HDD check - OK

Eliminated ALL startup programs.

Disconnecting USB HDD seems to make a slight improvement in speed, but nothing amazing.

Booting from C.C.C. back up is NO better but works.

Screen suffering from fading and vertical stripes - still usable, but when I come from my MBPro -Retina to the iMac, I go "Ugh!"

Any software about that will really wring out the HHD and report problems?

Any suggestions (excepting 'Buy something more recent') welcome.

cheers

Ozfrog

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 10:16 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Oct 25, 2020 12:35 PM in response to just4Lance

( Back Market )

That's asking for problems. How good is the guarantee? Personally I wouldn't touch it. If you need a refurbished one give OWC (MacSales.com) a look. They are extremely reliable, great customer service and warranties.

Apple also has refurbished models with new Mac warranties. Since the pandemic their supply is limited and fleeting. OWC has a pretty good selection.

Wherever you get the refurbished iMac make sure it's been prepared according to this Apple document: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support  

Also pay with a credit card that you can challenge the sale with in event you don't get what's advertised and you can't return it for a full refund.

Oct 25, 2020 10:45 AM in response to just4Lance

1. I suggest that you backup your files for all user accounts.
  2. Erase the HDD.
  3. Re-install El Capitan from scratch.
  4. Restore a user account.
  5. Verify account does not cause any slowdown.
  6. Repeat Steps 4 and 5.

If slowdowns occur with a user account, then you will need to determine what that account is doing to cause such slowdowns.

Oct 25, 2020 12:22 PM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy and thanks for your quick reply.

I have just run DriveDx on the iMac and the HDD is not healthy. "Re-allocated sector" count up to 13 which they judge not acceptable - I will run it again daily for the next few days and see if it gets worse, in which case, their prognosis will be confirmed and a swap-out recommended.

I do monthly backups with Tm and CCC, but I might set this to "Nightly" from now on until I resolve this dilemma.

I would consider wiping the HDD and reinstalling 10.14.6 a waste of valuable time and effort if the HDD is not trustworthy.

As well, the screen is fading and exhibiting striping which I have been warned, is a sign of ageing and a screen replacement not a viable financial proposition on such an old (2008) machine.

So what with the HDD and the screen, I think I'll start looking for a replacement.

2017 i5 iMacs with 1To HDD and 8Gb RAM can be had, with a 6 month guarantee, for ~€1000 ( Back Market )

Thanks again for your kind reply.

Ozfrog

Oct 25, 2020 2:22 PM in response to Old Toad

Hi, {Old Toad }

Thanks for your concern.

OWC is sadly not available here in France AFAIK.

Refurbished models from Apple are considerably more expensive than BackMarket with no greater warranty. ( Not New Mac )

I have used BM for many Apple purchases with no regrets - one iPad that exhibited battery issues was replaced without question within 7 days. I understand I may have been lucky, but there you go.

Payments are always by C.C. and the products are always cleaned out to Apple specs, before shipping.

I will double check Apple prices.

Thanks

Lance

Oct 28, 2020 1:40 AM in response to woodmeister50

Just done my Apple research and waded through the legal jargon.

Confirmed - 1 year's guarantee on refurbished iMacs.

More intensive price comparisons needed in view of new facts.

My App Store is just a short drive if something goes amiss, whereas I'd need to pack up and post back to BackMarket if something goes wrong with their product. If they do not agree with my diagnosis of some fault, the postal charges TO and BACK are mine :(

My Tm and CCC backups are now nightly, so I should be covered, while I do the math.

Cheers

Lance

iMac 2008 slow at everything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.