Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Air: Update loses one-click functionality on the Apple mail icon

I use the email program on my Mac Air computer. It is the icon with the bird on it.

I used to be able to just click on the email icon and up would pop my emails. I recently did the update. Not sure if it is related, but since that update, when I click on the mail icon, nothing happens. Instead I have to go into my web browser and open the email program in a new tab.

How can I return to the one-click access to my emails?

thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 7:19 PM

You are right. I was wrong. Your Mail app icon in macOS Catalina should still be like a stamp with a bird. My theory and recommendation in my previous response is therefore invalid.

We can still use some of that original response. RIGHT CLICK on your current Mail app icon and choose OPTIONS and then choose REMOVE FROM DOCK. Then open Launchpad and open the Mail App. That Mail app icon will now be on the extreme right side of the DOCK. RIGHT CLICK on the Mail app icon and then choose OPTIONS. Then select KEEP IN DOCK.

Close the Mail app and then click on the newly added Mail app icon on the Dock. See if that helps. Thanks.

Axel F.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2020 7:19 PM in response to Oct_25-20

You are right. I was wrong. Your Mail app icon in macOS Catalina should still be like a stamp with a bird. My theory and recommendation in my previous response is therefore invalid.

We can still use some of that original response. RIGHT CLICK on your current Mail app icon and choose OPTIONS and then choose REMOVE FROM DOCK. Then open Launchpad and open the Mail App. That Mail app icon will now be on the extreme right side of the DOCK. RIGHT CLICK on the Mail app icon and then choose OPTIONS. Then select KEEP IN DOCK.

Close the Mail app and then click on the newly added Mail app icon on the Dock. See if that helps. Thanks.

Axel F.

Oct 25, 2020 6:29 PM in response to Oct_25-20

That mail icon (with a bird on it) is an icon from an older macOS. You have updated to macOS Catalina and the icon has changed to just an envelope. I think what is happening is that you are clicking on the old icon with no Mail app associated with it.

Open Launchpad and then find the Mail app (The new icon) and click on it. This will open the Mail app. Look the extreme right of your Task Bar (Dock) and you will see the new Mail icon. Right click on that new Mail icon and choose OPTIONS. Then select KEEP IN DOCK. That will maintain the new mail icon on your dock.

After that, right click on the old mail icon and choose OPTIONS and then REMOVE FROM DOCK.

Axel F.

Mac Air: Update loses one-click functionality on the Apple mail icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.