Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I JUST SPILLED RUBBING ALCOHOL ON MY MACBOOK

So I was using rubbing alcohol and it fell and wet under the computer what do I do now.....

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 7:52 AM

Cheese_Man wrote:

So I was using rubbing alcohol and it fell and wet under the computer what do I do now.....

Probably the least harmful thing to spill. Turn it off.

If it were me— Let it sit in a well ventilated area for 24 hours and see what happens.

You can always take it in /send it in

If you have AppleCare+ it will cover a large portion of accidental damage.

https://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

AppleCare+ (similar for iPhone and iPad, each incident of accidental damage) for Mac will carry its own price tag. Screen damage or “external enclosure damage” will run $99 per incident, while other damage, including water damage, will run $299. Users receive coverage of two incidents under AppleCare+, and after the two incidents have been used up, out-of-warranty replacement rates will apply

(*note: there may be some delay due to the temporary Apple Store closures)

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2020 7:52 AM in response to Cheese_Man

Cheese_Man wrote:

Probably the least harmful thing to spill. Turn it off.

If it were me— Let it sit in a well ventilated area for 24 hours and see what happens.

You can always take it in /send it in

If you have AppleCare+ it will cover a large portion of accidental damage.

https://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

AppleCare+ (similar for iPhone and iPad, each incident of accidental damage) for Mac will carry its own price tag. Screen damage or “external enclosure damage” will run $99 per incident, while other damage, including water damage, will run $299. Users receive coverage of two incidents under AppleCare+, and after the two incidents have been used up, out-of-warranty replacement rates will apply

(*note: there may be some delay due to the temporary Apple Store closures)

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Oct 26, 2020 8:54 AM in response to Cheese_Man

If it just went under the computer (i.e. spilled across the surface on which the Mac was sitting), it will likely be fine. If the liquid actually spilled into the Mac (through the speaker openings, keyboard, etc.), then you will most likely need service. Liquid damage is pervasive and progressive, and keep in mind that typical 'rubbing alcohol' is 70% isopropyl alcohol and 30% water, so while the isopropanol will evaporate essentially harmlessly (assuming it's of sufficient purity), the water will not, and the mixture actually flows more easily into spaces than just water alone.

Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

I JUST SPILLED RUBBING ALCOHOL ON MY MACBOOK

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.