Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickLookUIService process has (PID 438)

Total nubie. Don't know yet if I'm doing this right. Be kind. In activity monitor, QuickLookUIService process has (PID 438) as part of the process name. Is that PID num also related to TCP 438 port and if so why and why is it on the process name in the first place? Thanks!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 4:08 PM

I have no idea why it puts that in the name. Mine is off by four, but it is nowhere near 428 (or any other TCP port number). When I killed it, it regenerated with another PID. I think that is the PID of the process that initially called it.

4 replies

Oct 26, 2020 2:44 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks so much for responding! Sorry, but I don't think I explained very well. What I meant to say is I have never seen a Process Name listed in Activity Monitor that had a PID number listed in the actual name display so this one caught my attention. All other process names have just the name such as 'IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent' or 'ads_stores' etc. But instead of being listed as just 'QuickLookUIService' like all other processes, it is listed as 'QuickLookUIService (PID 438).' It just seemed odd that this is the only process I've ever noticed that has a PID number in parenthesis added to the process name. Plus, it seemed ironic that 438 is also a TCP port that made me wonder if my com.apple.QuickLook.thumbnailcache file was being remotely tapped via port 438 (Recently learned that Quick Look can be a major security risk). Does that make better sense? Don't mean to sound paranoid, but it seems that if someone can gain access to the Quick Look thumbnail cache, they pretty much have it all.

QuickLookUIService process has (PID 438)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.