Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple CarPlay Screen is pixelated and blurried on "Maps"

When I connet my phone to my car in order to use CarPlay, often gets some blurry images on both "Google Maps" and "Apple Maps". I have contacted to my dealer and still haven't received any feedbacks. I just wonder if anyone faces same problem at all? If so, any suggestion? I am using 2019 Honda Civic Sedan.

iPhone 7, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 5:16 PM

Hi there ozanelis,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It looks like your Maps is showing some poor quality on the screen when connected to your car. Does this same issue happen when viewing your maps directly on the iPhone? Have you tried restarting the iPhone? What about trying a different cable?

This article will give you some steps to try: If you need help with CarPlay.

We hope this helps!

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2020 5:16 PM in response to ozanelis

Hi there ozanelis,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It looks like your Maps is showing some poor quality on the screen when connected to your car. Does this same issue happen when viewing your maps directly on the iPhone? Have you tried restarting the iPhone? What about trying a different cable?

This article will give you some steps to try: If you need help with CarPlay.

We hope this helps!

Jan 3, 2021 11:56 AM in response to markandrewmorse

That doesn't make any sense. I have contacted Apple Support and they told me that there is nothing absolutely nothing wrong with iOS side. Like I said neither dealers nor apple does know anything about subject and I don’t think they spend an effort in order to cope with the problem. Anyway!

Here is what I have done so far. At infotainment system, go to settings > system > others and Click on “Remember Last Screen”. Adjust it from “Off” to “On”. Having got off the car, I press the home button on infotainment system and let the car remember home screen of car play. (Please take a look at below images). Next time when I start engine, infotainment system pops up with it. I just drive more or less 5 minutes like this and after I go to Google Maps or Apple Maps and so far it has been working fine. I know sounds little weird but that duration might give system to adjust itself or something.  I have tried a lot and a lot things contact many dealers, Honda drivers, and Apple and unfortunately haven’t received tangible solution.

If you get any solid solutions, please let me know.

Cheers,

Ozan   

Nov 23, 2020 11:51 AM in response to shagungarg

Hello Shagungarg,

If you have tried different phones and you have had still the same issue, then it seems there might be a hardware problem. Have you contacted your dealer? I have contacted both dealer and apple support but I haven't received any tangible solution. Yet, I have found out that both dealer and apple support from my country haven't faced any problem like this. Therefore, I suggest you to contact both your dealer and apple support of your region. Show the pics and explain the problem. Let us see what you will get.

regards,

Ozan

Dec 26, 2020 9:09 AM in response to ozanelis

Hi ozanelis, My Honday CRV 2020 is having the same issue. Did you get it fixed?

I too have tried different iPhones, updating operating systems on phones, changing USB cables, rebooting the infotainment system and factory data reset.

If you press the home button on the infotainment system so the screen goes back to home screen when the map pixelates and then press the Apple CarPlay button on the screen, it returns to google maps and the the screen is back to normal.

I have my car booked into the dealer on Monday to look at this so would be interested in your feedback.

Jan 3, 2021 5:42 AM in response to ozanelis

The dealer had my vehicle for 2 days, consulted with Honda HQ and said they did a load of research. The conclusion was they could not find a problem with anything and said all research pointed towards an incompatibility between apple’s latest iOS software and Honda’s Apple CarPlay. They said I would just have to wait for Apple to get any bugs fixed in the iOS. On the way home the screen pixelated again and I pressed the home button and then Apple car play again and the screen went back to normal without losing the route map. It’s a quick work around but still frustrating. It has happened several times since and looks like I will have to live with it fit now.

Jan 5, 2021 11:19 PM in response to ozanelis

Hello, I have a Honda CRV-EXL 2020 and my car does the same thing. They actually changed the infotainment screen and the issue is still there. My car has been in service three times and they are not able to duplicate the issue. It seems more like a hardware issue. My service advisor did tell me that there were issues with previous models. I drove a 2021 HRV and a 2021 Accord for a week with absolutely no issues. Hopefully they will be able to figure it out soon.

Feb 26, 2021 6:15 PM in response to ozanelis

I have the same issue. I bought a 2020 CRV last week and it just started happening today. My Apple maps screen is pixelated both when in the small square on the main Carplay screen and full screen. The pixelation does not happen outside of Apple maps, although when I use Spotify I can kind of see the Maps screen underneath.

Apr 23, 2021 7:54 AM in response to ozanelis

There doesn't seem to be an easy fix to this issue. There is obviously a compatibility problem with Apple IOS and Car Play in Hondas. The easiest and quickest work around when this issue happens is still to press the Home Button on the infotainment system which takes it back to the home screen and immediately press the Car play button which takes it back into maps and resets the screen to the original map without losing the information or location your GPS is set for.

May 8, 2021 10:31 AM in response to markandrewmorse

I tried to read through, my dealer and I have narrowed down that for me it was a 2 factor authentication app I had added. I removed the Apps one by one til I found what I believe was the culprit. I no longer have the issue and have had it since I got the car in august. For some reason it was activated on car play and should not have been. My screen was so pixelated that it looked like it was melting. Could not use if for almost 6 months. They even replaced the whole system for me.

Apple CarPlay Screen is pixelated and blurried on "Maps"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.