Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect IPAD Pro with Toshiba Canvio Advance Hard Drive

I purchased a Toshiba Canvio Advance to use with my iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (4th generation) running IOS 14. I made this purchase after reading several reviews recommending this device for this purpose. When I attempt to connect the Toshiba Hard Drive with my IPAD Pro the IPAD Pro does not recognize the hard drive. Toshiba Support recommended contacting Apple as the issue is reformatting the hard drive for use on Apple products and, per the Toshiba representative, the information on how to do that with an IPAD Pro has not been provided by Apple.

I am connecting to the IPAD Pro using through a Hyper Drive 6 in 1 Hub for IPAD Pro.

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 8:55 AM

Did reformatting the drive work for you? I have a western digital drive but there was no way to disconnect the drive so it would error after disconnecting. Do you have that issue with the toshiba drive?

4 replies

Oct 26, 2020 1:10 PM in response to TFSXU81

The iPad can only access drives formatted as Fat32. exFat, HFS+ and APFS.

It cannot access drives formatted as NTFS for Windows, which the Canvio appears to be formatted as. https://storage.toshiba.com/consumer-hdd/external/canvio-advance

You would need to connect the drive to a Windows PC or a Mac and format it in one of the supported formats.

There is no option to format it directly on the iPad unfortunately.

Connect IPAD Pro with Toshiba Canvio Advance Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.