Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts iCloud account does not configure correctly

While setting up my iCloud account on my iMac, including Contacts, on my Mac under the settings of Contacts my iCloud does not get the pull down menu "Connect" (in Dutch "Haal op").

The other two accounts are getting the pull-down menu correctly.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 12:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2020 2:45 AM

I contacted Apple Support and together I concluded that the problem is in the iCloud account, specifically the Contacts part.

And that we couldn't solve it because it's too deep in the iCloud back-end (unfortunately).

Thank you for your replies

6 replies

Oct 31, 2020 7:11 PM in response to HJoost

Hello HJoost,

Being able to adjust the sync settings for iCloud is extremely important, and you've come to a great place for help. Since noticing the sync settings missing have you restarted the Mac? If not, follow the steps in Log out, sleep, restart, or shut down your Mac to do so. If restarting does resolve the issue please use the following article to boot in to safe mode, then check to see if the drop down appears. We also recommend updating the macOS as well. You can find those steps linked below also.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

How to update the software on your Mac

Have a great day!

Nov 2, 2020 7:44 AM in response to HJoost

Hello HJoost,

Testing in safe mode, and updating are great troubleshooting steps to help further isolate the issue. You mentioned the issue after you reinstalled macOS on your Mac. Was there a specific issue you were attempting to fix with the reinstall? Also, do you have another Admin user account set up on your Mac? If not, please create a test Admin user account in System Preferences > Users & Groups. Once created log in to that user and attempt to sign in to iCloud to see if the same issue occurs.

Take care!

Nov 2, 2020 1:53 PM in response to ryane77

First of all, thanks for your replies.

I bought this iMac second-hand so I wanted a fresh start and reinstalled it.

After some testing, see below, I suspect an iCloud account problem, specifically Contacts, rather than an iMac (software) problem.

The problem occurs with the i**@**at.nl account. The other one iCloud account (the j) works fine.

Started with the current situation:

i**@**at.nl as main iCloud account > No contact sync, no drop down menu. Calendar syncs oke

j**@**at.nl as a second iCloud account > contact sync, with drop down menu. Calendar syncs oke

Tested on this iMac:

created a second admin user

j**@**at.nl as main iCloud account > contact sync, with drop down menu. Calendar syncs oke

i**@**at.nl as second iCloud account > No contact sync, no drop down menu. Calendar syncs oke

created a third admin user

i**@**at.nl as main iCloud account > No contact sync, no drop down menu. Calendar syncs oke

Tested on other Apple devices:

On MacBook (Catalina 10.15.7)

i**@**at.nl as a second iCloud account > No contact sync, no drop down menu. Calendar syncs oke

On iPhone8 (iOS 14.0.1))

i**@**at.nl as a second iCloud account > No contact sync, Calendar syncs oke

Nov 2, 2020 2:52 PM in response to HJoost

Hello HJoost,

To clarify a bit further did you create a different Admin user account on the Mac itself, or did you create a separate Apple ID? From the information you provided it appears the issue happens with two different Apple ID's, but varies based on the device. For the best support from here we'd recommend reaching out to Apple through the Get Support website.

Have a great day.

Contacts iCloud account does not configure correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.