Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Remove an External Drive Password from Keychain

Can anyone tell me how do remove the stored password for an external drive?

I have several external drives attached to my iMac, all password protected.

For added security when I enter the passwords, I do NOT add them to my Keychain.

Unfortunately, for one of these I accidentally did. While it simplifies boot up by not having to enter the password, I'd nonetheless like to remove it.

I've searched high and low for how to do this, but I can't find anything either inside the Keychain or any solution on a web search.

Thanks...Any help much appreciated!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 2:30 PM

Ay yai yai...I think you're right. I just plugged it into my MacBook and no password needed.

But it's twin (the backup of that drive) DOES need a password. Maybe I didn't encrypt this one as I had thought.

But if I HAD encrypted it and stored it in the Keychain, where would the password be found?

That's still a question that nothing comes up on in a web search.

Thanks,

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2020 2:30 PM in response to Barney-15E

Ay yai yai...I think you're right. I just plugged it into my MacBook and no password needed.

But it's twin (the backup of that drive) DOES need a password. Maybe I didn't encrypt this one as I had thought.

But if I HAD encrypted it and stored it in the Keychain, where would the password be found?

That's still a question that nothing comes up on in a web search.

Thanks,

How to Remove an External Drive Password from Keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.