Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad texting

My iPad stopped allowing text both out or in. Any suggestions to why?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 4:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2020 9:10 AM

There is nothing in iPadOS 14.1 to cause a problem with that. There would be a flood of complaints and there are not. Mine are working just fine as well as others in my family. If you are having an issue with texting, and you never responded as to whether this was SMS or iMessage, then do they work on your iPhone? If yes, and it is SMS you are referring to, then you need to recheck the Text Message forwarding settings. Try turning them off and back on again. Otherwise you may have to reset the network settings on your iPhone and iPad. If they don't work on the phone, then you need to contact your carrier, they are responsible for SMS.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2020 9:10 AM in response to DobyDog

There is nothing in iPadOS 14.1 to cause a problem with that. There would be a flood of complaints and there are not. Mine are working just fine as well as others in my family. If you are having an issue with texting, and you never responded as to whether this was SMS or iMessage, then do they work on your iPhone? If yes, and it is SMS you are referring to, then you need to recheck the Text Message forwarding settings. Try turning them off and back on again. Otherwise you may have to reset the network settings on your iPhone and iPad. If they don't work on the phone, then you need to contact your carrier, they are responsible for SMS.

Oct 30, 2020 9:18 AM in response to DobyDog

DobyDog wrote:

My iPhone is set correctly. It just started doing this. I’m thinking it may have started after I updated to IOS 14.1???

Just in case something has been missed in your diagnostic endeavours... you must explicitly verifiy/enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone.

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

More information:

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

Fault finding if needed:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

iPad texting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.