Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't back up with Time Machine: "Time Machine could not create a local snapshot to back up from."

I know this question has been asked on this forum and others, but I have tried everything recommended elsewhere and nothing is working.

Every time I attempt to backup, time machine fails to do so and delivers the notorious message:

"Time Machine could not create a local snapshot to back up from."

-> Have installed lasted version of OS software.

-> Have tried using two different WD external drives, one brand new and empty (2 TB), the other was the previously well-functioning backup disk for Time Machine, also 2TB and only about 60% full.

-> Have removed and replaced Mac HD from spotlight to re-index spotlight (as suggested in another post)

-> Have completely erased and re-tried brand new drive multiple times

I need to get hardware repaired on the computer asap, and I need a fresh backup as I have done a great deal of work since the last backup.

Please help! Thank you.

MacBook

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 8:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2020 7:59 AM

UPDATE: Phew! Time Machine is working again the next day after rebuilding/re-indexing Spotlight (by removing Mac HD from Spotlight and then putting it back). My guess is that rebuild was indeed the solution and just took overnight to work because the rebuild can take several hours. Below are instructions for the Spotlight rebuild.

How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2020 7:59 AM in response to DREWBLUE2

UPDATE: Phew! Time Machine is working again the next day after rebuilding/re-indexing Spotlight (by removing Mac HD from Spotlight and then putting it back). My guess is that rebuild was indeed the solution and just took overnight to work because the rebuild can take several hours. Below are instructions for the Spotlight rebuild.

How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

Can't back up with Time Machine: "Time Machine could not create a local snapshot to back up from."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.