Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlocking iMac with Apple Watch

I have just started to use an Apple Watch and I have noticed that I can unlock my MacBook with the Apple Watch which is handy.

When I try to unlock my iMac with the Apple Watch, the iMac suggests that the WiFi has to be turned on to use this feature.

I always have the WiFi turned off because my iMac is connected to the internet via ethernet cable so my question is, is there any possible issues with turning the WiFi on, on the iMac even though I won't ever connect it to any networks or is it just a waste of power or energy, turning it on just to use this feature?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 30, 2020 3:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2020 5:37 AM

How to unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

they need to be able to communicate if bluetooth is enough then make sure it's on

it's not enough to enable wifi on the mac if it does not connect to the same wifi router as the watch does

if the ethernet cable connects to a router which also has wifi then make sure the router is set to bridge the ethernet and the wifi in order for the communication can get the mac and reverse.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2020 5:37 AM in response to IanF007

How to unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

they need to be able to communicate if bluetooth is enough then make sure it's on

it's not enough to enable wifi on the mac if it does not connect to the same wifi router as the watch does

if the ethernet cable connects to a router which also has wifi then make sure the router is set to bridge the ethernet and the wifi in order for the communication can get the mac and reverse.

Unlocking iMac with Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.