Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After downloading the latest iphone update, getting the following message: "Cannot Verify Server Identity. The identity of "imap-mail-outlook.com" cannot be verified. Happens everytime I use my phone. Any ideas?

After downloading the latest iphone update, getting the following message: "Cannot Verify Server Identity. The identity of "imap-mail-outlook.com" cannot be verified. Happens everytime I use my phone. Any ideas?

iPhone 8

Posted on Oct 30, 2020 7:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 9:40 AM

It turns out the problem may not have been my Outlook.com account (which is not related to Office365 in this instance), but rather my Hotmail account.

I deleted my Outlook account with the intent of keeping it off my phone until the issue was fixed, and after a little while the error popup returned. The popup does not reference the account, just the server that is involved, and in this case the Hotmail account was pointed at an Outlook IMap server.

I deleted and reinstalled the Hotmail account, and that appears to have fixed the issue. The settings page for Hotmail now matches the settings page for Outlook; that was not true before.

I have 9 email accounts on my iPhone. I am not sure whether to be proud or ashamed of that fact.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2020 9:40 AM in response to tylerfrompulaski

It turns out the problem may not have been my Outlook.com account (which is not related to Office365 in this instance), but rather my Hotmail account.

I deleted my Outlook account with the intent of keeping it off my phone until the issue was fixed, and after a little while the error popup returned. The popup does not reference the account, just the server that is involved, and in this case the Hotmail account was pointed at an Outlook IMap server.

I deleted and reinstalled the Hotmail account, and that appears to have fixed the issue. The settings page for Hotmail now matches the settings page for Outlook; that was not true before.

I have 9 email accounts on my iPhone. I am not sure whether to be proud or ashamed of that fact.

Oct 31, 2020 8:09 AM in response to ChasSaysSo

I am having this exact same issue: error popups from outlook.com from the iOS Mail app, using iOS 14.1.

Error is 

"Cannot verify server identity", and "imap-mail.outlook.com" cannot be verified.

My account is installed on my iPhone, and I can actually go into it and check for mail. The account itself is working in the Mail app. But every few minutes I get this popup, no matter what app I'm in.

I have done the following to try to troubleshoot:

• Killed the Mail app by swiping up on it, then restarting the phone. No luck.
  • Deleted the account and reinstalled it (after restarting) - twice.

The settings for outlook.com appear to be correct, particularly since I CAN access/send/receive email for Outlook.com.

The popup gives me the option to check Details or Cancel. When I check details, I get told the certificate isn't trusted. I have attached an image of the cert.

I checked in with Microsoft chat support, they told me it was Apple's problem. Of course.

Thanks for your help. 

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.