Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Broken e on my macbook pro

Hi all,

So I bought a macbook pro in England at the end on 2017. 15 inch model and now I live in Cyprus. Here we have no official apple store. Only authorised.

So the letter "e" fell off my keyboard and I took it to an authorised service center. They told me the butterfly broke and they need to replace the whole keyboard (fair enough). But he said they also need to change the toolbar? This makes no sense to me. They want to charge me 750 euros to fix 1 key.

Does any one understand why they need to and also if in England fixing it would be much cheaper?

TIA

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Oct 31, 2020 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2020 9:54 AM

Unleashed wrote:

Thanks ! The service thing you sent does that mean it gets fixed free or cheaper? Or is it a pay monthly thing ?

You can read as well as me(?)

from the link above:

Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will service eligible MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro keyboards, free of charge. The type of service will be determined after the keyboard is examined and may involve the replacement of one or more keys or the whole keyboard.

Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753) 

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2020 9:54 AM in response to Unleashed

Unleashed wrote:

Thanks ! The service thing you sent does that mean it gets fixed free or cheaper? Or is it a pay monthly thing ?

You can read as well as me(?)

from the link above:

Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will service eligible MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro keyboards, free of charge. The type of service will be determined after the keyboard is examined and may involve the replacement of one or more keys or the whole keyboard.

Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753) 

Oct 31, 2020 9:17 AM in response to Unleashed

Unleashed wrote:

Hi all,

So I bought a macbook pro in England at the end on 2017. 15 inch model and now I live in Cyprus. Here we have no official apple store. Only authorised.

So the letter "e" fell off my keyboard and I took it to an authorised service center. They told me the butterfly broke and they need to replace the whole keyboard (fair enough). But he said they also need to change the toolbar? This makes no sense to me. They want to charge me 750 euros to fix 1 key.

Does any one understand why they need to and also if in England fixing it would be much cheaper?

TIA

2017 they change the entire top case— and yes this includes your Touchbar.

See if you qualify: https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

Nov 2, 2020 9:21 AM in response to Unleashed

The Authorised Apple service told me my Mac is not eligible because the "butterfly" broke on the key and this does not fit with the problems faced by other keyboard and therefore cannot fix it for free.

750 euros is a lot of money though but he told me he would also replace the battery for this amount and it is not 100% good.

I think in the UK where there are official apple stores it can be fixed much cheaper. Does any one know roughly how much this would cost in the UK ? The letter E snapped off.

TIA

Broken e on my macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.