Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade Mac OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6?

What is the next upgrade after Mac OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6 on a iMac Late 2009, and how do I find out if I can upgrade?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 31, 2020 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2020 10:01 AM

The next and final upgrade for your Late 2009 iMac is High Sierra 10.13.6. Visit the How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra page using only the Safari browser. There will be a link on that page to the appropriate High Sierra download in the Mac App Store. I recommend making a final Time Machine backup before the upgrade.

I recommend your doing this before Apple releases the macOS 11 (Big Sur) operating system, and you will still receive Security and browser updates (e.g. Safari 13.1.2) in the Mac App Store's Updates panel. Once Apple releases Big Sur, the High Sierra operating system drops off the customary three-year sliding window of support.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2020 10:01 AM in response to Tamlouie

The next and final upgrade for your Late 2009 iMac is High Sierra 10.13.6. Visit the How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra page using only the Safari browser. There will be a link on that page to the appropriate High Sierra download in the Mac App Store. I recommend making a final Time Machine backup before the upgrade.

I recommend your doing this before Apple releases the macOS 11 (Big Sur) operating system, and you will still receive Security and browser updates (e.g. Safari 13.1.2) in the Mac App Store's Updates panel. Once Apple releases Big Sur, the High Sierra operating system drops off the customary three-year sliding window of support.

Nov 3, 2020 4:49 AM in response to VikingOSX

Well, I am so glad you mentioned that in your first post. It made me move and now it is done. I would like to do the same on my MacAir mid 2012, but I don't have enough room. I have been trying to copy over photos from iphoto to photo so I don't lose them, but it is taking a long, tedious time. I need to uninstall iphoto and then update to whatever would be available? I am not sure what that would be, nor if there is a quicker way to move photos over. If you have any suggestions, I welcome them.

Nov 3, 2020 6:43 AM in response to Tamlouie

iPhoto as an app does not take up any space on your mac, it is the iPhotos library where your images are that takes up the space. Now that you have imported your images from your iPhoto library into Photos your iPhoto library will now be

named as photos library or similar. Do not delete this as you will lose all your images.

To check look in your Pictures folder.

Nov 4, 2020 3:59 AM in response to Eau Rouge

That makes sense because now Photos has taken up over 3MB of storage since importing the iPhoto library and has created a lot of duplicates. I was thinking it wouldn't allow the dupes, or at least ask me. Would you happen to know how to delete all duplicates in Photos without having to select/delete, over and over? I searched thru the help menus but couldn't find anything specific to the task.

Upgrade Mac OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.