Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

running el capitan how do i download an earlier version of logic pro x?

I need logic pro x what do I do?

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 31, 2020 8:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 1:12 AM

Hi

This is not correct:

A) You must have already purchased Logic Pro X. If you haven't, you'll need to buy it using any Mac that is running a compatible macOS ( Mojave or up). Use a friends Mac, or maybe one in a store to make the purchase. No need to download it.

B) In the Appstore on your Mac running El Cap or whatever, find Logic Pro... I just used the 'Top Paid Apps' on a Mac running High Sierra:

Click on Install: you will be alerted that you can download then latest version compatible with your Mac:

Good to go

CCT

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2020 1:12 AM in response to kerochan

Hi

This is not correct:

A) You must have already purchased Logic Pro X. If you haven't, you'll need to buy it using any Mac that is running a compatible macOS ( Mojave or up). Use a friends Mac, or maybe one in a store to make the purchase. No need to download it.

B) In the Appstore on your Mac running El Cap or whatever, find Logic Pro... I just used the 'Top Paid Apps' on a Mac running High Sierra:

Click on Install: you will be alerted that you can download then latest version compatible with your Mac:

Good to go

CCT

Dec 15, 2020 1:53 PM in response to kerochan

FWIW, I'm in the same situation. I'm on Mojave and had been putting off Logic updates until the projects I'm working on got to the point they could tolerate a possible interruption if the update went south. I tried to update this afternoon and was shocked to see the requirement to run Catalina and no offer to update to an older but compatible version.

So I tried installing Logic on a clean Mojave instance using my apple ID. The app store on the clean install _also_ refused to install on anything older than Catalina.

@Ira S - did you have to do anything special to get the app store to offer to install the older version? I see that you posted about a month ago - so prior to the 10.16.1 release which seems to have caused the Catalina requirement and perhaps took a way the customer friendly "but would you like to install the most recent compatible version"? Grrrr.

I've logged a support ticket with Apple and will report back to the group if I get a reply.

Nov 11, 2020 1:15 PM in response to Wilddrums

Hi CCTM, I followed all those steps: I bought Logic Pro X on an iMac running Catalina, then opened the App Store on my older iMac running Yosemite 10.10.5, but when I see the Logic Pro X image in the App Store on the older iMac, the only option is to buy it, not "install", and when I click on it to buy (it actually says "$199.99"), I get the message "We could not complete your purchase. Logic Pro X can’t be installed on “Macintosh HD” because OS X version 10.14.6 or later is required."

Dec 15, 2020 2:29 PM in response to Chine Nual

Replying to myself. I decided to just keep trying. After about 10 attempts to install on the new Mojave machine (each failed saying Catalina required), I got the "would you like to download an older version" prompt.

Why yes!

But of course that failed. (dialog says "could not install: cancelled"). So I tried again (and again (and again)). On the 5th attempt to download the older version, it started a download! Version 10.4.8 now installed on a clean Mojave. Problem is I've been trying to _upgrade_ my 10.4.8 to 10.5.1 or 10.6 -- which was possible only 5 days ago.

Why do we put up with this sort of thing? :(

Dec 21, 2020 9:29 AM in response to Chine Nual

I did get help from Apple support. While I'm not so impressed with the App Store, I remain very impressed with the Support team. We had to try all sorts of crazy stuff (deleting local cache directories, logging in and out of the App Store maybe three dozen times, but she finally managed to get the app store to download 10.5.1 for me. Phew! Apparently 10.6 truly is Catalina+ only, but Mojave users should expect to be able to update to 10.5.1.

Dec 23, 2020 3:37 PM in response to Chine Nual

For me everything worked just 3 weeks ago without any problems whatsoever on two MacBooks Pro: a 2008 model with El Capitan (Logic v10.3.3), and a 2012 model with partitions El Capitan (v10.3.3), Sierra (v10.4.4), High Sierra (v10.4.8), Mojave (now at v10.5.1, but see below) and Catalina (now v10.6.1).

But there are some more App Store issues and glitches going on in the recent ±2 weeks that have been apparently confirmed by Apple support staff directly to some affected users who reported it here on Apple forums. Reportedly Apple engineers are investigating it already.

So at the moment it may or may not work.

If the download doesn't work, the workaround to log out of App Store, restart the Mac, log in App Store again and retry, has eventually – albeit only temporarily – worked for me on Mojave, and then I was able to update Logic Pro to v10.5.1.

It didn't work for GarageBand though, the App Store is still partially broken as of today. Oddly enough, I was able to install GarageBand 10.3.5 on High Sierra and Catalina. Since it's the same version as for Mojave, it can be simply copied over to the Mojave Applications folder.

Today I have temporarily deleted Logic 10.5.1 app on the Mojave partition (no worries, I had a backup copy elsewhere) and got the "could not install: cancelled" error as well.

The bug seemingly affects 3rd party apps, too. I had similar problems to update Djay Pro AI to v3.0.4 on Mojave a week ago, too.

Dec 23, 2020 3:52 PM in response to kerochan

kerochan wrote:
I dare not leave El Capitan, all stable with Logic 10.3.2

I hear you! ;)

El Capitan is my "mission-critical" partition. It runs nearly everything I need: Logic 9, Logic 10, my "hopelessly obsolete" but fully functional Firewire audio interfaces, my just as "hopelessly obsolete" but fully functional Adobe CS5 apps – being a graphic designer by main profession – peacefully along with the latest Serif Affinity design apps suite, you name it. Heck, since 2013 I even downgraded to iTunes 10.7 because I can't stand the iTunes 11/12 UI. iTunes 10.7 still works on El Capitan!

The ultimate solution a year ago was to install a 2TB SSD drive and partition it, so that I can test and run every MacOS that my trusty MacBook Pro mid-2012 15" (matte display forever!) can bear, including a "nostalgical" Mountain Lion partition. But for what it's worth, App Store on Mountain Lion is broken in the meantime, too. :/

running el capitan how do i download an earlier version of logic pro x?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.