Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mynew iphone SE 2 has poor wifi range,why:

Why does my iphone SE2 have poor wifi connectivity range compared to my old iphone 6.?

What should I do about this?

Is this a common problem.

Bruce

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 6:57 AM

What band are you connecting to on each phone? 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz? The 5 GHz band is faster, but has less range and doesn’t penetrate walls as well.

If there is a very large difference (e.g., the SE2 has a range of 10 feet and the 6 100 feet) then there’s probably a hardware issue in the SE. You can try standard troubleshooting:

• Restart your router
  • Forget the network on the phone, then reconnect
  • Settings/General/Reset - Reset Network Settings

If none of that helps use the Contact Support link at the top of this page to discuss repair options.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2020 6:57 AM in response to RBEsparrow

What band are you connecting to on each phone? 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz? The 5 GHz band is faster, but has less range and doesn’t penetrate walls as well.

If there is a very large difference (e.g., the SE2 has a range of 10 feet and the 6 100 feet) then there’s probably a hardware issue in the SE. You can try standard troubleshooting:

• Restart your router
  • Forget the network on the phone, then reconnect
  • Settings/General/Reset - Reset Network Settings

If none of that helps use the Contact Support link at the top of this page to discuss repair options.

Nov 1, 2020 8:57 AM in response to RBEsparrow

That sounds more like a problem with your phone. Contact Apple about having it evaluated. Does it happen on all networks, or just your home network? Both 20 feet and 50 feet sound abnormally low; even 5 GHz Wi-Fi should easily have 150 feet with no obstructions, 2.4 GHz even more.

If you have a large space replacing the router with a mesh network is a better solution than a range extender.

mynew iphone SE 2 has poor wifi range,why:

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.