Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cellular service drops randomly have to toggle airplane mode on to get service back

So I picked up my iPhone 12 pro yesterday from apple store. I have noticed already 3 times in less then 24 hours that my Verizon cellar data with go bye bye aka "No Service". I have restarted the phone and that seems to get the cellular reception back as well as toggling on airplane mode and then taking it off also helps with getting the service back. Obviously this is an issue either software or possibly mechanical. Was wondering if anyone else has this issue with Verizon or another carrier, and any insight on how this could be fixed. Thanks

Dan

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 1, 2020 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 1:49 PM

I am also experiencing intermittent loss of cellular signal on my iPhone 12 Pro Max in a location where the signal strength is low (perhaps 1-2 bars). This never happened with my iPhone 11 Pro Max. I'm on Verizon, with the unlimited plan.

After speaking with Verizon and trying a Network reset, turning the phone off/on, forcing roaming, and turning off WiFi, the problem still persisted (i.e. intermittent loss of cellular signal). This does not happen in areas where the signal strength is strong (i.e. 3-4 bars).

However, after going on Reddit I found this thread: https://piunikaweb.com/2020/12/02/iphone-12-series-users-experiencing-network-signal-drops-no-service-issue/ which gives some helpful hints.

I tried disabling WiFi calling, and this seems to have stopped the intermittent signal drops (at least for the past few hours). This issue has been reported by 9to5 Mac (https://9to5mac.com/2020/12/01/iphone-12-dropping-service-unexpectedly/), so hopefully Apple and Verizon (and other affected carriers) will figure out the problem soon.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2020 1:49 PM in response to DannyOki89

I am also experiencing intermittent loss of cellular signal on my iPhone 12 Pro Max in a location where the signal strength is low (perhaps 1-2 bars). This never happened with my iPhone 11 Pro Max. I'm on Verizon, with the unlimited plan.

After speaking with Verizon and trying a Network reset, turning the phone off/on, forcing roaming, and turning off WiFi, the problem still persisted (i.e. intermittent loss of cellular signal). This does not happen in areas where the signal strength is strong (i.e. 3-4 bars).

However, after going on Reddit I found this thread: https://piunikaweb.com/2020/12/02/iphone-12-series-users-experiencing-network-signal-drops-no-service-issue/ which gives some helpful hints.

I tried disabling WiFi calling, and this seems to have stopped the intermittent signal drops (at least for the past few hours). This issue has been reported by 9to5 Mac (https://9to5mac.com/2020/12/01/iphone-12-dropping-service-unexpectedly/), so hopefully Apple and Verizon (and other affected carriers) will figure out the problem soon.

Nov 3, 2020 12:23 PM in response to DannyOki89

My iPhone 12pro has poor LTE data service on verizon’s network. Currently set on 5G auto but switching to LTE makes little difference in LTE service. It is also random in same location but mostly poor connectivity. 5G seems to work ok when I can connect but LTE is frustratingly slow. Not a Verizon service issue per se because my wife’s XS has LTE service in same area where my 12pro does not, which points to a 12pro issue. All normal troubleshooting has not improved situation including installing 14.2 beta.

Dec 4, 2020 5:25 AM in response to SY in Houston

my 12pro has poor to no data cellular download inside a residence in Fl (residence does not have wifi) but my wife’s XS iPhone does not have the same problem. I can lay both on a table side by side and her iPhone will open websites normally but my 12pro will not open the same website. No resets or airplane toggling improves the situation. I can go outside and occasionally get a 5g signal but usually LTE, the 12pro will work normally. It works fine of course on wifi. I did see the same slow cellular data download issue while sitting in an office waiting room but did not have my wife’s XS to compare. Whether it’s a verizon carrier setting issue or Apple iOS or something more serious is what I am waiting to learn.

Cellular service drops randomly have to toggle airplane mode on to get service back

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.