Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is a 30w charger safe for an iPad Pro

Is a 30w charger safe for an iPad Pro? any advantage or disadvantage to a lesser watt charger?

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 6:20 AM

A 30W USB Power Adapter is perfectly safe for use with iPad and iPad Pro. The iPad will draw only as much power as it’s internal circuitry requires. iPad is generally limited to charging at 2.4A @5V (i.e., 12W).

However, if both the iPad and Power Adapter are USB-PD compliant, compatible models of iPad can use USB-PD Fast Charging - typically 1.5A @12V (i.e., 18W). Again, the iPad will only draw the maximum power that its maximum charging rate requires.

More information about Apple USB-PD Fast Charging can be found here:

Fast charge your iPhone – Apple Support

You need to note that whilst many recent models of iPad support USB-PD, no models of iPad or iPhone support the QC (Quick Charge) standard. USB-PD and QC are different technologies.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2020 6:20 AM in response to Hot_Wheels_305

A 30W USB Power Adapter is perfectly safe for use with iPad and iPad Pro. The iPad will draw only as much power as it’s internal circuitry requires. iPad is generally limited to charging at 2.4A @5V (i.e., 12W).

However, if both the iPad and Power Adapter are USB-PD compliant, compatible models of iPad can use USB-PD Fast Charging - typically 1.5A @12V (i.e., 18W). Again, the iPad will only draw the maximum power that its maximum charging rate requires.

More information about Apple USB-PD Fast Charging can be found here:

Fast charge your iPhone – Apple Support

You need to note that whilst many recent models of iPad support USB-PD, no models of iPad or iPhone support the QC (Quick Charge) standard. USB-PD and QC are different technologies.

Is a 30w charger safe for an iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.