Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A Citizens One Credit Inquiry Every Time I Upgrade?

I financed my iPhone through the iPhone Upgrade program last year so I could upgrade my phone annually. When I signed up, I understood I’d have a credit inquiry just like I do whenever I apply for a credit card.

I was shocked to discover this year that Citizens One runs a credit inquiry EVERY YEAR I OPT FOR THE UPGRADE! Checks like that reflect negatively on my credit, which in turn causes interest rates on my next mortgage or car loan to be higher. Credit cards don’t run inquiries every year I use my credit card, yet Citizens One Bank as part of this Apple program apparently does.

Did Apple and Citizens One disclose this on-going credit inquiry requirement before they induced thousands (millions?) of Apple’s customers to sign up for this upgrade program?

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 2:10 PM

8 replies

Nov 2, 2020 4:59 PM in response to sberman

Thank you for the research and response, SBerman. You are correct, of course, that the Terms and Conditions state that to exercise the upgrade option one must apply for a new 24 month installment loan, and that "Applying for a New Installment Loan requires a new credit check." [Emphasis added.] Clearly I failed to read that relevant fine print in subsection b of paragraph 2 of the Terms and Conditions before I dove into the Apple Upgrade Program.

Nov 2, 2020 4:15 PM in response to DaveinOrange

Each phone you upgrade to is considered to be a brand new loan.

This isn't a credit card or a revolving line of credit, as shown by the fact you have to supply them with a credit card or bank account number for your monthly payments.

As stated in section 2b of the agreement above:

This includes applying for and entering into a new 24-month 0% APR installment loan (“New Installment Loan”) with Bank. Applying for a New Installment Loan requires a new credit check.

It's a bank loan on your new phone with terms that allow you to prematurely opt out of the loan and close it for a payment of whatever the value of your phone is, as long as you have made one year's worth of payments on your loan.

In many ways it's no different than if you moved to a new condo or new house each year; each new mortgage wouldn't be an extension of the old one.

So yes, it was clearly disclosed, in the very Terms and Conditions you had to agree to before ever entering the program in the first place.

Nov 2, 2020 4:58 PM in response to Michael Black

Thank you, Michael. I'm not sure that's correct. The upgrade program requires one to apply for a new loan from Citizens One. Other banks require hard credit checks even for increases in their existing customers' credit limits (for instance, Bank of America's website says: "Bank of America does a hard credit pull for most credit limit increase requests...") I couldn't find information on Citizens One's website, so I'm not sure if it's a hard inquiry or a soft one even though I'm already a customer.

Many banks, including BofA, can do soft checks to make unsolicited offers to customers and non-customers, but this upgrade program is a request in connection with an actual application for a new loan, as I understand it. According to Experian's website, if an inquiry is "tied to an actual credit application, they're considered hard inquiries, and they can affect your credit scores."

Nov 2, 2020 5:43 PM in response to DaveinOrange

My understanding is that since you’re applying while still under a loan from that same lender, it is a soft pull. It’s not unlike applying for a credit increase from a credit card issuer whom you have a current, in use card. Or adding a line of credit to your mortgage while still paying it.

Those lenders already have access to your credit record and report since you’re currently doing business with them. So while you are applying for a new loan, you’re applying for it with a lender you already currently owe and whom you are in good standing with. So it should not show as a negative on your report as you are not a new customer with that lender.

At least that was how a Honda finance support person explained it to me a long time ago when I still had a few months to go on a car loan with Honda and was looking to trade in my car for a newer Honda with a new loan (trade in would pay off old loan, but new car would assume a new loan) - so those dealings where all with the same lender whom I was already an active customer with.

A Citizens One Credit Inquiry Every Time I Upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.