Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data transfer to new Mac

If I make a genius appointment will Apple will they transfer my old MacBook contents to my new 2020 Macbook?

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 6:58 PM

No.

The best they used to do was send you to a table in the back of the store where folks were doing their own transfers, with questions answered by an associate who was fairly knowledgeable about how it ought to be done. They also had loaner cables for one-off use, so you did not need to buy one.

Instead, you should plan on acquiring the cables you need. Migration Assistant (or its cousin Setup Assistant) will be happy to selectively bring over your data from you old Mac, its backup, or a PC:

How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2020 6:58 PM in response to VideoKim

No.

The best they used to do was send you to a table in the back of the store where folks were doing their own transfers, with questions answered by an associate who was fairly knowledgeable about how it ought to be done. They also had loaner cables for one-off use, so you did not need to buy one.

Instead, you should plan on acquiring the cables you need. Migration Assistant (or its cousin Setup Assistant) will be happy to selectively bring over your data from you old Mac, its backup, or a PC:

How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Nov 2, 2020 6:57 PM in response to VideoKim

Yes, if you are purchasing the new computer from them. There is a fee for the service. You can do it yourself using Migration Assistant which will be on the new model. You will need to connect the two together: How to Use Migration Assistant with macOS Catalina. Also, see Setting up a new (or repurposed) Mac- 2 Migration Assistant and Setting up a new (or repurposed) Mac- 3 Manual migration.

Data transfer to new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.